Graduate Application Requirements for U.S. Citizens & Permanent Residents
We appreciate your interest in Colorado School of Mines.
We know that you are weighing many options about your future, academically and professionally. Your interest in graduate education is something we take very seriously. We hope to provide you with the necessary information you need to make an informed decision. If Colorado School of Mines is in your future plans you can be assured we will do our best to meet your goals and ambitions.
Links and Downloadable Forms
We encourage you to continue your academic success with us.
If you would like to visit campus please click here: Visit Mines
Below is a listing of required documents that you must submit to the Graduate Office along with the application for admission.
For your convenience you can download this checklist here: Application instructions for domestic students
Please ensure that all application materials are received by the deadline date. Applications will be reviewed with unofficial transcripts and test scores. If you are accepted into the program the official credentials must be received by the Graduate Office before you can register for classes.
- GRE test scores (Colorado School of Mines institution code: 4073): All graduate degree programs at Mines require completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). We will accept GRE scores from tests taken within the past five years. Students applying to the applied Physics (M.S. or Ph.D.) program and for financial aid must submit general GRE and the Physics Subject Test GRE scores. If you are not applying for aid within the physics department, you are only required to submit general GRE scores. The Division of Economics and Business and the Division of Liberal Arts and International Studies will accept GMAT Graduate Management Admission Test scores in place of GRE scores.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (*PDF file): Please have your recommenders submit letters through the online application system or by email to: email@example.com. Letters of recommendation should be solicited from sources knowledgeable of your academic and professional capabilities. They should also describe your qualifications for the specific degree program into which you are applying.
- One (1) official transcript from all current and previous institutions (unofficial transcripts can be used for the review process). You may upload* copies of transcripts through the online system. *Uploaded transcripts must contain both your name and the name of the institution to be valid.
- Transcripts are marked 'unofficial' if your program is not complete and still 'in progress'
- Transcripts are marked 'unofficial' if they are not in a sealed envelope from the University
- Statement of Goals: The purpose of the statement of goals is to introduce yourself to the Graduate Admissions Review Committee. In the statement, you should address professional and personal goals, as well as why Colorado School of Mines would be the best place to achieve those goals. In addition, any skills or experience you have that you think are applicable to a Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship award should be addressed in the statement. It is typically one to two pages in length.
- Resume/curriculum vitae (CV)
- A non-refundable application fee is required of all applicants. Please note: Our online application will only accept fees paid by credit or debit card.
Send all supplemental materials to:
Colorado School of Mines Graduate School
1500 Illinois St.
Golden, Colorado USA 80401-1887
In order to speed up the admissions review process, copies of test scores and transcripts will be accepted until official paperwork arrives. Official scores and transcripts are required for registering into classes should you be accepted.
Once your application is successfully submitted you will receive a confirmation email. Please ensure the e-mail address within your online application profile is the appropriate and correct e-mail. Once you have received confirmation you will be able to check the application status through your online application's homepage. (You will not be able to track an 'unsubmitted' application online). When all the required credentials have been received by the graduate office your application will be complete and released to the department for review. An e-mail notification will be sent to you when your application has been sent for review. Please keep in mind that you can submit the online application without having the additional required credentials. We will update your application packet as we receive credentials and release it when all the required credentials have been received.
Colorado School of Mines
engineering the way
1500 Illinois St.
Golden, Colorado USA 80401-1887
(800) 446-9488 x3247