Mines, NREL combine capabilities in geothermal energy research
GOLDEN, Colo., Feb. 25, 2010—Colorado School of Mines and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) have announced the joint appointment of Masami Nakagawa to conduct research projects related to geothermal heat pump technologies, including:
- Conceptual design of the NREL geothermal heat pump showcase installation
- Developing data collection plans for the showcase that allow long-term performance monitoring and research that will enable improved designs of geothermal heat pump systems
- Identifying options for data collection and analysis on flagship geothermal heat pump projects, with an emphasis on Colorado projects and projects funded under the ARRA solicitation
- Evaluation and research using the data collected at the NREL showcase and the flagship projects.
- Developing more cost effective designs
- Supporting the education of scientists and engineers in renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Working with stakeholders to adopt optimal clean energy solutions.