Undergraduate Transfer Students
An applicant to Colorado School of Mines is considered a Transfer Student if they have enrolled in coursework at another college after high school graduation. To be considered for transfer, a student must be enrolled in a minimum of one semester as a full-time (12+ credit hours) student. The minimum admission criteria for all transfer students are as follows:
- Student must have completed the same high school course requirements as entering freshman
- Completion of trigonometry and enrolled in Calculus I or beyond
- Enrolled in and/or completion of chemistry with lab and/or physics with lab
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Student must provide official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Student must provide a final high school transcript or copy of their GED (2nd Bachelor degree applicants are exempt from having to provide high school transcripts)
Credits earned more than 10 years in advance of admission will not transfer
The following is a list of recommended courses for you to take at a 2-year or 4-year college or university that will keep you on track for a successful transfer. By completing these courses and the transfer requirements listed, you will be eligible to apply for transfer into Mines.
|Fall Semester I:
Trigonometry/Pre-calculus or Calculus I
Principles of Chemistry I with lab
English Composition II or Technical Writing
|Spring Semester I:
Calculus I for Scientists and Engineers
Principles of Chemistry II with lab
|Fall Semester II:
Calculus II for Scientists and Engineers
Engineering Physics I - calculus-based
Contemporary World History
|Spring Semester II:
Calculus III for Scientists & Engineers
Engineering Physics II - calculus-based
Physical Geology or Biology
Courses with grades of C or better may be eligible for transfer credit. Please keep all course work (syllabus, graded quizzes and exams, homework assignments) from all math and science courses. Prior to awarding transfer credit, department faculty may request the materials for review. This is especially the case with calculus, chemistry, physics, biology, computer science and any other engineering or applied science course work.
To review current transfer agreements in Colorado, visit:
In addition, students that have successfully completed gtPathways courses at another Colorado institution will receive credit for those gtPathways courses offered at Mines upon the student's enrollment at Mines. The applicable courses are: Chemistry I and II, Calculus I, II, and III, Calculus-based Physics I and II with a lab.
*If a transfer student has only completed up through Calculus II, the student will be required to complete a one credit hour Calculus II short-form course to bridge any material not covered in the course being transferred to CSM. Calculus II at CSM contains content that is taught in Calculus III at other institutions.
Applications for transfer admission will be accepted one semester prior to the term for which you would like to be considered for admission.
- For fall admission, you should apply no later than April 1
- For spring admission, you should apply by October 15
- The priority date for financial aid is March 1
- The confirmation date for fall enrollment is May 1
Ready to apply? When entering the application link, choose 'TRANSFER' if you are a high school graduate who has registered or enrolled at a college, university or other school since graduating from high school.
Items required for a Transfer applicant:
- Completed and submitted admission application
- Official college transcript(s) from ALL colleges attended
- Pay $45 Transfer application fee by CREDIT CARD - Pay on-line
- Pay $45 Transfer application fee by CHECK or MONEY ORDER - print form
- Pay $45 Transfer application fee by WIRE TRANSFER - contact Admissions for instructions
- Final, official high school transcript - required for application review if applying within 12 months of high school graduation. Otherwise, this document must be on file prior to enrollment
Toll Free 888-446-9489