Vice Admiral Truly appointed to Mines Board of Trustees
GOLDEN, Colo., March 11, 2010 – Vice Admiral Richard H. Truly, of Golden, has been appointed by Gov. Bill Ritter to the Colorado School of Mines Board of Trustees.
Truly was appointed to fill the vacancy occasioned by the recent death of former chairman of the board, Michael S. Nyikos. The term runs through December 31, 2010.
After graduating from Georgia Institute of Technology with a degree in aeronautical engineering in 1959, Truly began his 30-year career in the Navy. After distinguished service as a naval aviator, Truly became one of the first military astronauts and transferred to NASA.
Among his accomplishments as an astronaut, Truly piloted the Space Shuttle Columbia and was commander of the Space Shuttle Challenger for the first night launch and landing in the shuttle program. In 1983, he became the first commander of the Naval Space Command, the principal naval space operations element of the Department of Defense. Called back to NASA as associate administrator for space flight, Truly led the accident investigation and rebuilding of the space shuttle program following the Challenger accident. From 1989 to 1992, Truly served as NASA’s eighth administrator under President George H. W. Bush.
Following his career at NASA, Truly served as vice president of the Georgia Institute of Technology, director of the Georgia Tech Research Institute and director of the Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
Truly was awarded the Presidential Citizen’s Medal by President Ronald Reagan, is a member of the National Academy of Engineering, and received an honorary doctorate of engineering from Mines in 2002.
Truly currently serves on the board of directors of Xcel Energy, Tetra Tech and Edenspace Systems Corporation. He is a trustee of Regis University and the University Corporation for Atmosphere Research. He previously served on the U.S. Naval Academy Board of Visitors.
Truly’s appointment, as well as those of Stewart Bliss and Mohan Misra, was confirmed by the Colorado legislature March 10, 2010.