Is a graduate degree necessary in your future?
What is separating you from a master's degree? In many cases it is simply two semesters! Many degree programs at Mines offer you the opportunity to begin work on a Graduate Certificate, Professional Masters Degree, Masters of Science Degree, or a Masters of Engineering Degree while completing the requirements for your Bachelor’s Degree. These Combined Undergraduate/Graduate Programs have been created by Mines faculty with you in mind.
Graduate admissions process
Any CSM undergraduate student interested in applying for a graduate degree program as a Combined BS/(Master's or Doctoral) degree student should:
- Contact the academic department offering the graduate degree or the Graduate Office, for application requirement details. Requirements vary by Department.
- Submit a Graduate Admissions Application to the Office of Graduate Studies.
- Your Application should be submitted during your junior year.
- You must to be admitted by census day of your last semester as an undergraduate.
- Although you will submit your application for admission before you graduate with your bachelor's degree, you will need to select the graduate admission term for the semester after you graduate.
Graduate application requirements for Mines Undergraduates
Below is a listing of required documents that you must submit to the graduate office along with the online graduate application.
- Transcript: You will need to submit one (1) official copy of transcripts from all universities/colleges you have attended. (Official Mines undergraduate/graduate transcripts will not be requested by the Graduate Office. )
- Three letters of recommendation: Please have your recommenders submit letters through the online application system or by email to: email@example.com. Letters of recommendation should be solicited from sources knowledgeable of your academic and professional capabilities. They should also describe your qualifications for the specific degree program into which you are applying. You should always contact Recommenders to discuss using them as a reference. Please contact the Graduate Office or your department of interest to determine the number of letters required.
- GRE: Many departments waive the GRE requirement for Mines undergraduate students applying to a combined program. However, some departments require the GRE for combined program students. Please contact the Graduate Office or your department of interest to determine if the GRE is required.
- Statement of Goals: The purpose of the statement of goals is to introduce yourself to the Graduate Admissions Review Committee. In the statement, you should address professional and personal goals, as well as why Colorado School of Mines would be the best place to achieve those goals. In addition, any skills or experience you have that you think are applicable to a Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship award should be addressed in the statement. It is typically one to two pages in length.
- Resume/curriculum vitae (CV): You will need to upload a current resume. The Career Center is a great resource!
- A discounted, non-refundable $25 online application fee is required of all Mines applicants.
Once your application is successfully submitted you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Please ensure the e-mail address within your online application profile is the appropriate and correct e-mail. Once you have received confirmation you will be able to check the application status through your online application's homepage. (You will not be able to track an unsubmitted application online). When all the required credentials have been received by the Graduate Office your application will be complete and released to the department for review. An e-mail notification will be sent to you when your application has been sent for review. Please keep in mind that you can submit the online application without having the additional required credentials. We will update your application packet as we receive credentials and release it when all the required credentials have been received.
When applying to the Combined Program, we suggest that you:
- Visit the Combined Registration Page for detailed information about the Combined Program. Contact OGS, if you have any questions.
- Contact the Financial Aid Office to see how the Combined Program will impact any Aid you may be receiving.
- Contact the Registrar's Office to verify your Undergraduate Graduation Date and for information about completing the required forms.
Colorado School of Mines
engineering the way
Student Center E140
Golden, Colorado USA 80401-1887
(800) 446-9488 x3247
Contact Graduate Office