Campus Artwork

Graphical Version

Campus Artwork

"A Friend to Lean On"  

The bronze burro statue beside Guggenheim Hall, was presented to Colorado School of Mines in 1995 by the Adolph Coors Foundation. It was created by artist Robin J. Laws.

 
Alumni Time Capsule

Located in front of Berthoud Hall is a time capsule dedicated to Mines alumni in celebration of the Alumni Association’s 100th anniversary — 1895 to 1995. The time capsule will be opened in 2045. (Contents include a slide rule, a calculator, a credit card and a freshman miner’s cap.)

 
“Miner’s Saint”

A stained glass representation of the miner’s protector, can be seen from the front door of Berthoud Hall.

 
“Granite Lines”

In the courtyard of the Ben Parker Student Center are Sculptural Benches, cre­ated in granite by Richard Hansen. The benches are a result of the Art in Public Places Program, administered by the Colorado Council on the Arts.

 

“Denver Miner”

The sculpture, created by Ray Kling, can be seen in the entryway of the Ben Parker Student Center. It was purchased in 1996 from the Central Bank and Trust Company.

 
Alderson Hall Four-Story Stained Glass Window

Made of full antique, mouth-blown glass that was custom-ordered from all over the world, the four-story stained glass window in Alderson Hall’s entryway illus­trates the concept of “flow.” The artist was Barbara Saul.

 
“Of the Earth and Man”

The sculpture by John T. Young, located in Kafadar Commons at the center of campus, represents the three stages of technology: Stone Age, classical and modern. It was commissioned by the state Art in Public Places Program.

 
“The Greeting”

The sculpture depicting a North Plains Indian elder by artist George Carlson is located between the Ben H. Parker Student Center and the Student Recreation Center. The artwork illustrates a gesture of universal greeting representing different cul­tures coming together in the hope of mutual understanding — a goal of the Mines community. John Lockridge, a 1952 Mines alumnus, and his wife Erika, donated the work in 2007.

 

“Gordian Knot”

The complex tangle of stainless steel is approximately eight feet in diameter and was fabricated from more than 300 feet of pipe. Like the original Gordian Knot, it is without a beginning or end. According to the artist, Douglas Kornfeld, the sculpture was inspired by the students of the engineering school and an ancient story of Alexander the Great. In 333 BC, wintering at Gordian, Alexander at­tempted to untie the Gordian Knot. The legend claimed that whoever untangled the knot would rule Asia. Finding no end to the knot, or a way to unbind it, he sliced it in half with his sword. Alexander went on to conquer Asia, fulfill­ing the prophecy. The term “Cutting the Gordian Knot” is today often used as a metaphor for an intractable problem, solved by a bold stroke. The sculpture was commissioned by the state Art in Public Places Program and installed in 2008. It sits outside the CTLM building.

 

“Leather Helmets and Broken Noses”

While leading Mines’ 1939 football team to an undefeated season, Lloyd W. Madden also led the nation in scoring and was named a 1st Team All-American. Additionally, he was an outstanding track athlete, scholar and later, a professional football player. Donated by Stewart Chuber, geological engineer, Colorado School of Mines Class of 1952. The piece is dedicated to Lloyd W. Madden, geological engineer and One of Mines’ Finest Athletes, Colorado School of Mines Class of 1941. The sculpture, created by artist Bob Coffee, resides outside Volk Gymnasium on Maple Street.

 
 
Last Updated: 12/17/2013 09:02:09


Font Size