Undergraduate Transfer Guidelines


An applicant to Colorado School of Mines is considered a Transfer Student if they have enrolled in coursework at another college after high school graduation. To be considered for transfer, a student must be enrolled in a minimum of one semester as a full-time (12+ credit hours) student. The minimum admission criteria for all transfer students are as follows:

  • Student must have completed the same high school course requirements as entering freshman
  • Completion of trigonometry and enrolled in Calculus I or beyond
    • (Preferred:  Calculus I, II, III)
  • Enrolled in and/or completion of chemistry with lab and/or physics with lab
    • (Preferred:  Chemistry I, II and Physics I)
  • Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
  • Student must provide official transcripts from all colleges attended
  • Student must provide a final high school transcript or copy of their GED (2nd Bachelor degree applicants are exempt from having to provide high school transcripts)
  • Credits earned more than 10 years in advance of admission will not transfer





Registrar's Transfer Information

Courses listed below generally require departmental approval.  If you have taken a course that is not part of an articulation agreement, it is NOT guaranteed to transfer.

Course Taken Mines Equivalent
Calculus I MATH 111
Calculus II MATH 112
Calculus III MATH 213
Differential Equations MATH 225
College/General Chemistry w/ Lab CHGN 121
College/General Chemistry w/ Lab CHGN 122
Physics I Calculus Based w/ Lab PHGN 100
Physics II Calculus Based w/ Lab PHGN 200
Technical Writing and Environmental Ethics LAIS 100
Composition II and Environmental Ethics LAIS 100
Moden World History (Must be at least 200 level) LAIS 200
200+ (Sophomore level and above) Humanities Courses LAIS 2XX
400 (Senior level) Humanities Courses LAIS 4XX
Physical Geology with Lab GEGN 101
General Biology with Lab CBEN 110
Introduction to Computer Science CSCI 101
Principles of Microeconomics and  
Principles of Macroeconomics EBGN 201
Engineering Design* EPIC 151
Physical Activities Courses** PAGN 101, 102, 2XX

* Design courses rarely transfer 

** Courses must be taken in separate semesters

Courses with grades of C or better may be eligible for transfer credit. Please keep course syllabus (for physics please also keep exams) from all math and science courses. Prior to awarding transfer credit, department faculty may request the materials for review. This is especially the case with calculus, chemistry, physics, biology, computer science and any other engineering or applied science course work.

Additionally, Colorado School of Mines has formal transfer agreements with Red Rocks Community College (RRCC), Front Range Community College (FRCC), Community College of Aurora (CCA), Arapahoe Community College (ACC), and Community College of Denver (CCD). Students are encouraged to contact the Admissions Office at either institution for additional information.

Red Rocks Community College Agreement (RRCC)PDF versionText only version
Front Range Community College Agreement (FRCC)PDF versionText only version
Community College of Aurora Agreement (CCA)PDF versionText only version
Arapahoe Community College Agreement (ACC)PDF versionText only version
Community College of Denver Agreement (CCD)PDF versionText only version

In addition, students that have successfully completed gtPathways courses at another Colorado institution will receive credit for those gtPathways courses offered at Mines upon the student's enrollment at Mines. The applicable courses are: Chemistry I and II, Calculus I, II, and III, Calculus-based Physics I and II with a lab.

*If a transfer student has only completed up through Calculus II, the student will be required to complete a one credit hour Calculus II short-form course to bridge any material not covered in the course being transferred to CSM. Calculus II at CSM contains content that is taught in Calculus III at other institutions.

Applications for transfer admission will be accepted one semester prior to the term for which you would like to be considered for admission.

  • For fall admission, you should apply no later than April 1
  • For spring admission, you should apply by October 15
  • The priority date for financial aid is March 1
  • The confirmation date for fall enrollment is May 1

Ready to apply?  When entering the application link, choose 'TRANSFER' if you are a high school graduate who has registered or enrolled at a college, university or other school since graduating from high school.

Items required for a Transfer applicant:

  1. Completed and submitted admission application
  2. Official college transcript(s) from ALL colleges attended
  3. Pay $45 Transfer application fee by CREDIT CARD 
  4. Final, official high school transcript - required for application review if applying within 12 months of high school graduation.  Otherwise, this document must be on file prior to enrollment



© 2016 Colorado School of Mines | Equal Opportunity | Privacy Policy | Site Map | Text-Only Version

Last Updated: 08/18/2016 09:33:56