Welcome to Mines and CASA!

CASA, the Center for Academic Services & Advising, serves as your advising and academic support home away from home.


  • Meet CASA Staff
  • Learn about our academic services
  • Meet our student support staff (FDA, PAs and Tutors)
  • Learn about important dates and deadlines
  • And more…
  • First Semester Schedules

    The Registrar’s Office will build your first semester schedule using your intended major and any applicable AP/IB/TR or Concurrent/Dual Enrollment credit. 

    We will become actively involved with advising once your fall schedule has been finalized and released to you, around August 15th. Until then, we’ll be providing information through the Admissions newsletters, at Launch, and via webinars. Please read through the information below and on our website to learn about our services. We look forward to meeting you soon!


    You will have a CASA advisor for your entire undergraduate career at Mines. We have two advising teams in CASA: first-year advisors and major advisors.

    First-year advisors are assigned to students based on last name so you can maintain a relationship with one person as you explore majors and academic programs before declaring your major.

    When you declare your major, you’ll transition to a CASA major advsior who works with your academic department and a faculty mentor in your major.

    Your fall schedule will be based off of your intended major. When you start at Mines you can select what you want your intended major to be and can update that anytime.

    Admissions will be sending out a survey on behalf of CASA and the Registrar’s Office to confirm or update your intended major so your fall schedule is as accurate as possible.

    We encourage you to explore all of the possible majors at Mines by exploring this link: https://www.mines.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/

    Below are other ways to explore majors at Mines:

    Your AP/IB/TR/Dual Enrollment credits will be evaluated and applied to your transcript as applicable. Please make sure you have sent your official scores and official transcripts to Mines for evaluation; scores and/or grades on your high school transcript are not considered official.


    We know that fall schedules are one of the most common questions we receive from new students, yet we also want you to know about our other support services we provide students. They include:


    How do I create my first semester schedule?

    You don’t have to do anything to create your first semster schedule- the Registrar’s Office will take care of it for you!

    Your schedule will be based on your intended major and any applicable AP/IB/TR/Dual enrollment credits and will include the classes you need to make progress to graduation.

    You’ll have access to your schedule around August 15th. At that point, you’ll be able to make changes to your schedule, yet we highly recommend you contact us first before changing your schedule as classes are often quite full.

    When can I meet with an advisor to create my schedule?

    Every incoming student is assigned a CASA advisee by last name. You’ll start working with your CASA advisor after your first semester schedule has been created by the Registrar’s Office, so you don’t need to do anything except wait for your schedule to come out (sometime around August 15th).

    If you have concerns about your schedule after it’s made, you can contact your advisor or our office and we’ll work with you on any potential changes you would like to make.

    is my assigned schedule ok?

    Your schedule should be great for your academic program needs. If you are questioning an aspect of your schedule, reach out to CASA.

    Please note that time preferences are unlikely for first-semester schedules.

    How do I change my schedule?

    Once schedules are created by the Registrar’s Office and available to you in Trailhead (around August 15th), you’ll have the ability to change it.

    We highly encourage you to contact us before changing your schedule as classes will likely be very full.

    We’ll walk you through how to make changes to your schedule if it is something that needs to happen.

    Why don't I get to pick my own schedule?

    That’s a great question! The Mines curriculum is structured in a way that allows for a common core curriculum experience and a specific set of courses for majors and minors. We want everyone to make progress in their first semester at Mines and the Registrar’s Office uses their expertise to ensure you’re progressing towards graduation in a timely manner by registering you for your first semester. We’re also able to take your AP/IB/TR/Dual Enrollment credit into consideration when creating your schedules so you’re not having issues with prerequisites.

    You’ll be able to register yourself each semester after this first semester. 

    Who do I contact if I want to change my schedule?

    CASA! You can contact our main office at casa@mines.edu or call us at 303-384-2600 once your schedule is out (around August 15th).

    When is the last day to change my schedule?

    Census Day is the last day you can make changes to your schedule like adding or dropping a class. 

    We recommend adding a class as early as possible so you’re not missing out on coursework.

    If you no longer wish to complete a class after Census Day, you can withdraw from a class. You will receive a W on your transcript when you withdraw from a class.

    What if I want to be in a particular class?

    That is a great question. Our goal with your first semester schedule is to make sure you are set up to advance in your intended major and make progress towards graduation. Depending on what that class is, you might already be in it, or you might be able to add it when your schedule comes out (around August 15th). It all depends on what the class is, when it’s offered in comparison to your other classes, and if it’s open.

    If you can’t get in that class your first semester, you can include it in your class wishlist for the spring or other semesters. You’ll have the ability to control your schedule every semester after your first!

    Can i request a specific class section/time/instructor?

    For this first semester, you are not able to provide such course preferences as a specific section, time, or instructor. Our goal is to make sure all new students get the best schedule for them, and we simply cannot accommodate such requests. 

    You will register yourself for every semester after this, however, so you’ll be able to include those preferences after fall.

    What if I want to test out of a class?

    Some classes at Mines offer the opportunity to test out of a class. The process is by invitation only and is called a Challenge Exam. More information about the Fall 2022 Challenge Exams will be available later this summer, yet please visit the Challenge Exam website on the Registrar’s Office for more information.

    What are Honors classes and how do I take them?

    Math offers honors versions of Calc II, Calc III, and DiffEQ. Students with AP Calc credit will receive an invitation from the math department to join in one of these questions. After this first semester, you can enroll in an honors version of math if you are interested in it. 

    The honors versions cover the same core content as the non-honors classes, but instructors have considerable opportunity to enrich the class through additional applications, the use of technology, and different modes of instruction. The honors classes are an excellent option for students who are curious about mathematical ideas, and who are intrinsically motivated to learn the “how and why” of mathematics.

    What if I want to change my intended major?

    You’ll receive a survey in May (you may access in your Admissions portal) to update or confirm your intended major and your schedule will be based on that intended major.

    After that point, you can change your intended major after your first semester schedule has been created through CASA. If you changed your intended major over the summer, contact us to discuss any potential schedule changes to reflect your new intended major.

    If I have ap credit should I take the class again at mines?

    Our AP credit guidelines are decided by Mines faculty and our standpoint is that students should accept AP credit and move forward into the next course.

    If you are unsure of what you learned in the AP course, you can decline your credit. However, we often see students who have denied their AP credit wish they had accepted the credit because they already knew the information. This can lead to being bored and not doing well in the class.


    Some semesters might have more or less credits, yet those are common for full-time students. The Catalog (https://catalog.mines.edu/undergraduate/programs/) provides sample four-year course listings with credits. 

    You are in control of how many credits you take each semester. Some students might opt for fewer credits each fall/spring semester and make up for those credits over the summer or add to their graduation timeline. We encourage students to make their own decision about how many credits they want to take in consultation with their CASA advisor.

    what if I end up changing my major? Will my classes still count?

    The Mines Core is a set of required courses all students need to take for graduation requirements and often comprise the first year or two on campus. This allows for students to change their major without taking extra courses that won’t count toward their degree.

    Sometimes students take a class that counts toward one major and not another. In that case, we encourage students to look at a potential minor in the other subject or simply know that taking a “decision-making” course is a wise decision to help select a major.

    Always reach out to your CASA advisor if you have questions about your potential major. We’ll do our best to make sure your courses count toward any potential major you’re pursuing.

    Can i make it across campus if I have 10 minutes between classes?

    Many students have back to back classes. Whether you have 10 or 15 minutes in between classes, you’ll most likely be able to make it across campus in time for your next class. Some classrooms are on the outer edge of campus, yet the majority of our classrooms are within the middle academic portion of campus. 

    I want to double major/minor/do a 4+1 program!

    That’s great! We’re here to help you explore all of your academic possibilities! Contact your CASA advisor for full details and to create a personalized plan, yet read on for more information.

    A minor requires 18 to 21 additional credits to your degree program, 9 of which you can overlap with your major.

    A double major requires at least 30 credits beyond the first major. The courses are decided with the faculty advisor of the second major. No credits may overlap and some major combinations are allowed.

    A 4+1 program requires admittance to the graduate school of the master’s program.

    How do I submit my AP/IB/Dual enrollment credit?

    You’ll need to send in your official scores/transcripts from College Board/IB, or the institution affiliated with your dual enrollment credit. Send them to Admissions for processing and evaluation.

    Please note- your high school transcript may containt this information yet it is not official. We will need your official scores/transcripts.

    How do I defer my first semester enrollment?

    You’ll need to contact Admissions to defer your enrollment to another semester. 

    Does Mines offer pass/no pass options?

    Every class at Mines is graded on an A-F scale. Mines does not offer pass/fail or pass/no pass. 

    Mines does provide Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading at midterm for core courses, yet these are not included on transcripts.

    what is the core curriculum?

    The Core Curriculum consists of a common set of classes all Mines students take. These courses include: CSM101, Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, DiffEQ, Chem I, Physics I, Design I, Nature & Human Values, Global Studies, Principles of Economics, four semesters of PA (physical activity), three Humanities & Social Science credits (two mid-level and one 400-level), and at least 9 free electives. Distributed Science courses are also included in core requirements and vary by major.

    ADA Accessibility: CASA’s new location in Aspen Hall, 1869 W. Campus Rd., is not ADA accessible. If you require ADA accessibility, we are happy to work with you! Please consider scheduling an online appointment or e-mailing casa@mines.edu 48 hours in advance to set up an appointment in a common ADA accessible area on campus.