Welcome back to Mines

This page contains information to aid you in your return to Mines, including advisement, transferring in coursework, schedules and registration, readmissions, and majors.


For immediate questions about courses, advising, and registration, click the link below to contact CASA.

Returning Student Contact Form

The first step to return to Mines is completing the Returning Student Application*

*If you need to meet with Readmissions, visit the Readmissions website for full information. Only students who left Mines on academic suspension need to meet with Readmissions before returning.

You will receive an email from Admissions once the application has been processed with information about reactivating your Trailhead and email account.

Are you returning to Mines to pursue a second bachelor’s degree? Click the Double Degree tab below.

Upon returning to Mines your initial advisor will be Katie Ludwin, CASA Associate Director. She will help you transition back to Mines and then you will work either with a first-year or major advisor depending on where you are in your coursework.

Upon returning to Mines, you will be coded with the major you had when you left Mines and on the newest Catalog. Please connect with CASA if you have questions about your intended major or catalog year. Curriculum requirements change from year to year and meeting with an advisor to discuss your progression is recommended. 

You can register for classes through Trailhead and GEODE during your assigned registration date and time, yet you are encouraged to meet with Katie to review your classes and returning degree plan. You may be referred to another CASA resource, as appropriate. Appointments can be in-person or over the phone, and you are welcome to email her as well. To begin, please complete the following form:

Returning Student Form

In the meantime, look at your academic transcript, degree evaluation (run a What-If scenario if you are wanting to switch your major), and a flowchart (if available). Be sure to pay attention to prerequisites and major information, as both are subject to change.


Upon returning to Mines your advisor will be Katie Ludwin, CASA Associate Director. She will help you transition back to Mines and make sure your questions are answered regarding majors, classes, and more.

You will need to declare (or re-declare) your major and transition to a CASA major advisor and faculty member in your department to graduate from Mines. Many students re-declare their major immediately upon return to Mines.

From the Registrar’s Office:


Students who have matriculated at Mines, withdrawn, applied for readmission and wish to transfer in credit at an institution while they were absent from Mines must obtain approval upon return of the department head of the appropriate course, the department head of the student’s option (major), and the Registrar.

In all cases, requests for transfer credit are processed by the Registrar. Credits must be submitted on an official transcript from an accredited institution. Only courses with grades of “C” or better will be accepted.


Readmissions is a process run through Student Life at Mines.

Returning students who are pursuing a second degree from Mines are assigned Katie Ludwin as an advisor, yet they are encouraged to declare and transition to a faculty advisor as soon as possible due to the unique nature of the double degree.

Information from the Registrar’s Office:

A student wishing to complete two Bachelor of Science degrees must complete the first degree plus a minimum of thirty (30.0) hours specific to the second-degree program. The thirty hours for the second degree may not include free electives and may not be double counted with any credit used to complete the first degree. The degree plan for the second degree must be approved by the advisor, the department head, and the Registrar’s Office representing Academic Affairs.

Please contact Katie Ludwin as soon as possible to ensure you can declare your second major in a timely manner, and contact your new department to discuss plan your coursework.

Have you been away from Mines for five or more years? If so, there are some important details you need to be aware of:

  • Your academic program may have changed since you left

Academic programs are constantly in a state of evaluation and review to maintain high quality and standards. Sometimes majors are completely redesigned and you may need to move to a new catalog depending on where you are with credits.

  • Credit expires after 10 years

You will need departmental approval for each course that will be 10 years or older when you graduate. The 10 year course approval form can be found on the Registrar’s website here: https://www.mines.edu/registrar/forms/ 


ADA Accessibility: CASA’s new location in Aspen Hall, 1869 W. Campus Rd., is not ADA accessible. If you require ADA accessibility, we are happy to work with you! Please consider scheduling an online appointment or e-mailing casa@mines.edu 48 hours in advance to set up an appointment in a common ADA accessible area on campus.