CASA Advising

CASA Four-Year Advising

As a complement to faculty mentoring and part of the Mines@150 strategic plan, CASA transitioned to a four-year advising model where professional advisors will advise undergraduate students from entry through graduation. CASA advisors will provide generalized advising for first-year students and specialized, major-specific advising for continuing students through a close and active partnership with academic departments.

One of the main reasons for the four-year advising model is to enhance faculty mentorship for all students at Mines. We encourage all students to have an active relationship with faculty from the moment they start at Mines and will continue to support students developing and maintaining faculty mentoring relationships. We see four-year advising in CASA as an added benefit, as students now have one more person who can assist with understanding academic requirements and to encourage success at Mines.


First-Year Advisors

CASA’s First-Year Advisors are generalists and are knowledgeable about every academic program on campus. They provide holistic, developmental advising for all students in their first year at Mines through the Core Curriculum while exploring majors and minors.

Rickey Ortiz

Advises First-Year Students
Last Names: A-D


Sadie Downs

Advises First-Year  Students
Last names: E-J


Lisa Anderson

Advises First Year  Students
Last Names: K-Q


Yonas Hagos

Advises First Year Students
Last names: R-Z


Major Advisors

CASA’s Major Advisors are specialists and work in partnership with their respective academic departments to provide advice and guidance about major and minor requirements. They provide holistic advising that appreciates all aspects of a student’s identity.

Stephen Green

Advises students declared into:
Civil Engineering
Engineering (BSE)
Environmental Engineering
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering (MME)


Taylor Bickford (Hase)

Advises students declared into:
Electrical Engineering
Engingeering Physics




Colleen Maroney

Advises students declared into:
Computer Science
Economics and Business





Jennie Gambach

Advises students declared into:
Chemical Engineering
Quantitative Biosciences and Engineering

Ben Moore

Advises students declared into:
Mechanical Engineering (Last Names G-Z)






Advises students declared into:
Geological Engineering
Geophysical Engineering
Mining Engineering
Petroleum Engineering




Katie Ludwin

Associate Director – First-Year Advising
Advises new transfer students


Associate Director – Major Advising



All incoming students are assigned an Academic Advising Coordinator in CASA by last name. This Coordinator will advise students until they confirm their major at the end of their first year or the middle of their second year and transition to a CASA Major Advisor and faculty mentor/advisor. 

How Can My Advisor Help?

Your advisor can help with the following…

  • planning upcoming semester’s course load,
  • deciding a new major, minor, or Area of Special Interest,
  • assistance with transfer credit,
  • assistance with AP/IB credit,
  • individual assistance with coursework,
  • and much more…
But I'm Already Declared?

Students entering the university HAVE NOT declared a major. Any major noted within your Trailhead Account is merely an interest. Students are encouraged to explore each of the disciplines at Mines.

This interest is helpful in properly planning your projected academic path.

Students will complete a Declaration of Major Form with their academic advisor. Most students will complete this declaration half-way through their sophomore year. Your advisor will assist with this process. Students with many advanced credits or transfer credits may petition to declare early.

How Do I Connect with My Advisor?

So easy! You can call or email our office and we can help you set up an appointment with your assigned advisor. You are welcome to come into CASA during normal working hours and we can help you set up an appointment at that time. We offer walk in appointments twice a year–all other times you must make an appointment to meet with an advisor.

How Do I Change My Classes in Trailhead?

Follow these instructions to change your classes in Trailhead.

How Do I Receive My PIN to Register?

Students with a CASA advisor may have a Registration PIN. Those who have PINs will be proactively emailed by their academic advisor. Those who do not have PINs are still encouraged to connect with CASA and utilize their numerous advertised advising sessions. This PIN is obtained via your Academic Advisor.

CASA Contact Form

  • * All fields are required.
  • Please select ...
  • Enter your Campus-wide ID
  • Please use your Mines email address for all communication. If you do not have your Mines email address or it is not currently active, please enter your best email address.
ADA Accessibility: CASA’s new location in Aspen Hall, 1869 W. Campus Rd., is not ADA accessible. If you require ADA accessibility, we are happy to work with you! Please consider scheduling an online appointment or e-mailing 48 hours in advance to set up an appointment in a common ADA accessible area on campus.