Mines Content Management System (CMS) Help
The Mines Content Management System (CMS) is a web-based application that allows website owners and administrators to update pages, add images, and upload documents to the inside.mines.edu and www.mines.edu websites without any prior web-development experience.
This service has been deprecated and is scheduled to go out of service Fall 2019.
CMS WHITE PAPERS
Why use a content-management system? How do you migrate your current “traditional” site into our system? Where are we going with the web at Mines? Here are the basics.
- Why Use a CMS? What are the advantages of a CMS compared to “traditional” methods? The rationale for our web system is explained.
- Moving Your Website Into the Mines CMS Practical details about what it takes to make the move. (Spoiler alert: It’s pretty easy.)
These tutorials provide new CMS users with the baseline training needed to perform basic site updates (linked titles indicate new versions of these documents; “PDF” links are to documents now under revision):
- CMS Basics Learn how to log in, navigate to your site’s CMS directory, and edit an existing page.
- Creating Links [PDF] This tutorial explains how to use the CMS to create hyperlinks from one page to another.
- Managing Documents [PDF] Learn to upload document files into the CMS and create document links.
- Working With Images Learn to upload and modify image files. [PDF]
- Creating New Pages [PDF] Learn how to add new pages to your CMS-powered web site.
- Working With Sidebars [PDF] Does your web site have a global sidebar? Learn how to make changes to it here.
Advanced users, or Administrators, may find these tutorials useful.
- Embedding Videos Embed YouTube videos on your web page for extra graphical “punch.”
- Rotating Images Add animation to your academic-department home page images, like you see here.
- CMS Navigation [PDF] Create new navigation elements on your site’s left nav sidebar (some features are available only to administrators).
- Create CCIT Outages and Event Notices A quick-and-dirty, step-by-step guide for CCIT staff.
USING MINES LOGOS CORRECTLY
Branding information from the Mines Public Relations Department.