Vendor: SolidWorks Corporation.
Supported Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows only.
General Description: The SolidWorks web-site describes SolidWorks as“3D CAD software (which) allows your team to design better products that can set you apart from your competitors. Each release delivers innovations and customer-requested enhancements that enable you to work smarter and faster.
Availability: SolidWorks is installed in every CCIT-managed Windows lab.
Scope of License: Campus-wide education site license. Student home use is included in the Mines license. Research Labs are not included. Terms of the License are:
- You plan to use the Software for instructional purposes in classes for full-time, degree-, diploma- or certificate-seeking students where a student must be enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours of courses and lab work to be considered a full-time student, or you plan to use the Software for instructional purposes in a government certified apprenticeship program for degree-, diploma- or certificate-seeking students. (Please note that research labs are NOT eligible for Education Edition Licenses.)
- You will not use the files created by the Software for research or commercial purposes or enable others to use the files created by the Software for research or commercial purposes.
Method for Obtaining:
If you need SolidWorks installed on a Mines-owned machine, and the use meets the terms listed above, then please submit a request to the Mines Help Center.
For research and non-classroom use please contact our SolidWorks reseller for current pricing and purchasing:
Computer Aided Technology, Inc (CATI)
2075 Bryant Street
Denver, CO 80209
Phone (303) 481-6929
For student home use:
|If you are using a Mac you will need to Boot Camp your computer and install Windows in order to run SolidWorks. Do this first:
1. Obtain Windows from MIcrosoft Imagine Premium.
2. Follow directions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468. SolidWorks requires a minimum of 5 GB disk space in addition to Apple’s recommendation.
3. Continue with installation instructions below.
Please completely read the instructions below before attempting to install this software. You will need to have administrative rights on your computer and you must be connected to the Mines network either directly or via VPN to download and install it. You will also need to be either on campus or connected via VPN to run SolidWorks, as it needs to contact our network license servers.
This installation may take a long time over a wireless connection. If possible use a wired LAN connection to perform this installation. Expect it to take between 35 minutes and several hours, depending on your network connection, processor speed, and other factors. It is recommended that you remove any previous versions before proceeding.
SolidWorks is not available for 32-bit operating systems. Only 64-bit is supported.
- Determine whether your computer uses a 32 bit or 64 bit processor
– Right click Computer
– Select Properties
– Under System, System Type, it will indicate either 32 or 64 bit Operating System
- You will need to have administrative rights on your computer, and you must be connected to the Mines network either directly or via VPN. To acquire the software installer, login to the Mines software download site with your Multipass account. From there you can navigate to the SolidWorks download page.
- Copy the serial number to a temporary location.
- Download the appropriate installer to your Downloads folder or other temporary location.
- Double-click the installer to begin the installation process.
- The installer will ask where to unzip the installation files. The default is the folder the installer is in, and this should suffice in most cases. After file extraction completes, the installer will start.
- Make sure Individual (on this computer) install type is checked, and click Next.
- The serial number page will appear. Enter the serial number you saved in step 3.
- The installer will connect to the vendor web site, check the serial number, etc.
- On the Summary page read the terms of the Iicense Agreement, check the box to accept and then click the Download and Install button.
- The license server popup will appear:
– Enter the license server addresses. Make sure three server addresses are listed exactly as below, separated by semicolons (Note: if you had installed a previous version this may be pre-populated – make sure that empower.mines.edu is NOT part of the license triad.) firstname.lastname@example.org;email@example.com;firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click OK, and the installation should begin.
Training: Available at SolidWorks Tutorials.
In case of difficulties running the software in a Mines CCIT managed lab: Contact CCIT via the Mines Help Center. We want the program to be properly installed, licensed and functioning. If you have questions about the use of the program, please contact your instructor, TA or lab manager.