Latest Updates

  • Mines began its Spring 2021 semester as scheduled on Tuesday, January 12.
  • While some adjustments may be required based on local and state conditions, the spring semester calendar has not been altered, including Spring Break from March 27 to April 4.
  • Free COVID-19 testing is now available for whole Mines community, including family members. Learn more here.
  • More than 70 percent of spring classes have an in-person component, with an overall increase to in-person instruction expected compared to Fall 2020.
  • Classroom spaces have been de-densified to promote social distancing. Mines has adjusted traffic patterns, seating arrangements and HVAC systems to conform with emerging guidance and best practices.
  • All students are required to wear cloth masks in classrooms, laboratories and offices and while engaged in other activities or in high-traffic areas.
  • Although Mines has planned carefully and taken many necessary precautions, we must be ready to adapt and change as we learn more about the coronavirus and its impact on our community.
  • Residence halls are at reduced occupancy to allow for reduced density in rooms and common spaces. The remaining rooms have been set aside for isolation and quarantine use, as needed.

COVID-19 Email Updates

Parents, families and community members are invited to sign up for the weekly Mines Climbs Together update—an email containing the latest news, resources and reminders related to COVID-19 response activities at Mines.

Returning to Mines

A tool kit for safely returning to campus

Learn about hygiene and safety protocols, instructions for classroom and lab use, resources for working on campus and guidelines for reopening buildings.

Learn more »

What You Should Know

What should I do if I’m sick, or have had close contact with someone who has COVID-19?

We can’t emphasize this enough: It’s vital that all students stay/return home if they are feeling sick. This is especially important if you are experiencing any of the symptoms of COVID-19—even if you think you feel well enough to attend class.

  • If you live on campus in a residence hall, university apartment or Fraternity/Sorority Life house, this means going back to your assigned room and isolating as much as possible in your room only.
  • If you live off-campus, that means leaving campus immediately and returning to your off-campus housing. Stay home and away from campus until you receive further guidance.

Step 2: Notify campus officials of your illness or possible exposure by using the COVID Reporting Tool. Providing this information will allow Mines to respond and intervene more quickly on confirmed or presumed cases of COVID-19 within our campus community.

Mines students, staff and faculty should use this reporting form if they:

  • Have received a positive COVID-19 test result
  • Have had close contact with (live with or had extended face-to-face contact with) someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 (regardless of mask use)
  • Have been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting test results
  • Have symptoms associated with COVID-19
  • Are reporting on behalf of a Mines community member who falls in one of the four categories above

IMPORTANT: If you live on campus (Residence Halls, Mines Park or 1750 Jackson) and become aware of any of these circumstances or symptoms after 6 p.m. you should also report by calling the RA on-duty to get immediate assistance with determining next steps.

If you live in a fraternity or sorority house, to report a confirmed/possible COVID-19 case after 6 p.m., you should call the Fraternity & Sorority Life Coordinator.

Step 3: Help school or public health officials identify persons who may have had close contact with you during your infectious period. This is called contact tracing. You will be contacted by a Mines staff member or a county public health official or both. (If you live on campus or anywhere else in Golden, your county of residence is Jefferson County.)

Not sure what we mean by contact tracing? Check out this infographic from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

Step 4: Stay put (isolate) and take care of yourself. While some cases of COVID-19 can be mild, others can be very serious. Take steps to ensure you get the care, attention and support you need.

If you are experiencing severe shortness of breath, weakness, chest pain, confusion or your lips are turning blue, please call 911 or seek care at your nearest Emergency Department immediately.

If you are not experiencing the above life-threatening symptoms but are still worried you may need medical attention, please call the Mines Student Health Center at 303-273-3381 to speak with a Health Center staff member for further guidance during business hours, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. For after-hours options – including tele-health services through AHP Live Care – go to the Student Health Center’s website.

Any eligible student who has symptoms of COVID-19 or has had close contact with (you live with or have had extended face-to-face contact with) someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 can receive a COVID-19 test at the Student Health Center.

Step 5: In order for you to return to campus after having one of the symptoms of COVID-19, you must be meet ALL of the following:

  • Be fever-free (without taking medication to reduce fever) for at least 24 hours AND
  • Other symptoms have improved (for example, the cough and shortness of breath have improved) AND
  • At least 10 days must have passed since your symptoms first appeared.

What should I do if I live with someone who tested positive for COVID-19?

If you share a house with someone – family members or roommates – who has tested positive for COVID-19, is a presumptive positive COVID-19 case, or has been asked by a health care provider to self-isolate, you are not permitted on campus and must self-quarantine for 14 days after your last exposure to that COVID-19 case before returning to campus.

The same rule applies if you are notified by Mines and/or county health officials that you are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 and/or have been exposed to coronavirus. You must stay away from campus and self-quarantine for 14 days.

If you live on campus, you may be moved to a different room for the duration of your 14-day quarantine period. This will be communicated to you by a Mines staff member in Residence Life or SAIL (for fraternity/sorority houses).

If I am told to self-quarantine or self-isolate, what does that mean, really?

Simply put: Stay home, except to get medical care. Additionally, while under self-quarantine and/or self-isolation order, you should:

  1. If you have a medical appointment, call ahead and let them know you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have COVID-19 symptoms, so the office can tell you what to do.
  2. Do not go to work, school, or public areas. That includes campus spaces like Mines Market, Periodic Table, Arthur Lakes Library, Student Center and Student Rec Center, as well as shared study/social lounges within your residence hall.
  3. Avoid using public transportation, rideshares or taxis.
  4. Monitor your symptoms. People with mild illness may be able to isolate and recover at home without seeing a medical provider. If your symptoms worsen (e.g., difficulty breathing) or if you are in a higher risk group because you are an older adult or have an underlying medical condition, call the Student Health Center or your primary care doctor to find out what to do.
  5. Separate yourself from other people in your residence. As much as possible, stay in a specific room and away from others in your home. Wear a mask if you need to leave your room to use the restroom.

Feeling better but still under a quarantine or isolation order? All in-person lectures will be recorded, so you can keep up with class from home. Please contact your faculty to make arrangements for remote options to complete your coursework. But first, focus on getting well!

If you need an excused absence, please request it here and the Student Life Office will assist in communicating to your faculty.

On-Campus Residents Only: You may be moved to a different room for the duration of your quarantine/isolation period. This will be communicated to you by a Mines staff member in Residence Life or SAIL (for Fraternity/ Sorority houses).

If you have a campus meal plan, we will help arrange for you to get meals delivered. The Residence Life staff member who reaches out will also ask about any dietary needs or restrictions. And we’ll outline other options for support with academics and personal needs.

For additional information about quarantine and isolation, go to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s website.

When do I need to wear a mask?

Mines students, faculty, staff, visitors and vendors are required to wear a cloth face mask that covers their nose and mouth at all times whenever indoors at any university facility.

That means academic buildings, administrative buildings, club offices, Arthur Lakes Library, Ben Parker Student Center, Student Rec Center (unless you’re swimming), classrooms, laboratories and shared offices.

If you’re inside (and not in your personal residence hall room or alone in a private office) you should be wearing a mask. Outside, all individuals must also wear a face mask outdoors when social distancing of 6 feet or more is not possible. That includes when walking on campus paths and sidewalks, especially during class passing periods and whenever you are walking with someone else.

Important reminder: It’s mask + social distancing, not mask or social distancing. We lower the risk of COVID-19 transmission when both people are wearing masks AND staying at least six feet apart.

Consider this: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not consider face masks to be a mitigating factor in its definition of “close contact,” AKA the people who need to self-quarantine for 14 days after being exposed to someone who tests positive for COVID-19.

So, in other words, if you’re within six feet of someone for at least 15 minutes and that someone tests positive for COVID-19, it is likely that you will be asked to quarantine for 14 days—even if you both were wearing masks.

What kind of mental health services are available to students?

The Mines Counseling Center offers an array of enhanced remote services for students this fall—all of which can be accessed by students from their home on-campus or off. Among the offerings are daily options for drop-in office hours with a counselor and peer support groups via Zoom and an assortment of remote 30-minute skills seminars on topics such as coping with grief, anxiety, mindfulness, stress relief and managing screen time. Students who require individual sessions with a counselor will also be able to access those appointments through a private tele-therapy platform. More information is available on the Counseling Center’s website.

I’m a commuter student. Where can I study or take remote classes on campus?

There are more than 30 rooms in 11 buildings around campus that are available on a first-come, first-served basis for any Mines student in need of a socially distanced study spot with a strong Wi-Fi connection. Bookmark this page and keep an eye out for signage in buildings around campus.

Building common spaces throughout campus are also available for students looking for a place to study, with social distancing requirements in place. Please follow all protocols and signage. Students living on campus are asked to utilize their housing space for remote classes and inclement weather shelter to allow these spaces to be used by commuter students. 

Watch for new signs around campus.

Thanks, Orediggers!

“I just wanted to thank Allen Yim from M2 for reaching out to basically everyone in Morgan Hall. He’s made it so much easier to connect with everyone in this tough time and really made us a community even if it’s a socially distant one!”

— Isabella Libonate, Student

Orediggers climb together. Orediggers look out for each other. 

It will take a shared commitment from each and every one of us to stop the spread of COVID-19, open campus and be together at Mines this year.

We take great pride in being a top engineering and applied sciences university and we will strive to be the exemplar in preventing the spread of COVID-19 in a university setting.

Therefore, as a member of the Oredigger community, I promise to protect classmates and colleagues, our families and neighbors, and myself by adopting the practices and attitudes summarized below;


to learn required safety practices and expectations for learning,
working, and living on campus.

I will stay home if I am experiencing any of the COVID-19 symptoms, even if I feel well enough to come to campus. Symptoms are fever of 100.4 or higher, chills, shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, and/or diarrhea.

for the prescribed period of time after exposure to someone who is ill or has tested positive for COVID-19.

in all settings, both on- and off-campus.

over my mouth and nose when indoors and in any other setting where it is difficult to maintain social distancing, and use any other protective gear prescribed by the university.

using soap and water or hand sanitizer. Contribute to the cleaning of classroom surfaces as requested.

campus and building instructional signs and directions.

to preserve the wellness of the community.

when others provide safety reminders and suggestions.

to anyone around who may be in need of support.

Questions & Answers

Get more information about the semester

See answers to frequently asked questions about academics, campus life, health and safety, athletics and more.

Learn more »

Wear Your Mask
like you're preparing for reentry

Masks are required on campus sidewalks, walkways and other outdoor areas where six feet of social distancing cannot be easily maintained..

Astronaut icon


Tech Trouble?

Computer iconThe Help Center has expanded service hours (call 303-384-2000) or visit ITS Remote Resources

Campus Calendar

Visit Today at Mines to view upcoming campus events.

Raise Your Hand

hand iconHaving trouble and can’t find a solution? Fill out the Raise Your Hand form and the Dean of Students office will help

Career Services

Job search iconQuestions about summer internships or what to do after graduation? Contact the Career Center.

Talk with an Advisor

Chat iconContact CASA via online chat, by phone (720-260-4674) or over email.