Resolving Grievances

Where to Start

Prior to filing a grievance, students are encouraged to first discuss their concerns with the Director of Disability Support Services. Most disability-related issues or complaints about accommodations, services, faculty, other campus departments, programs or facilities are resolved at this level.

Any student who believes they have been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability, or who believes they have been subjected to retaliation under Section 504 or the ADA, regarding a request for academic or housing accommodations under the jurisdiction of the Director for Disability Support Services may file a grievance under this procedure. Retaliation against a person who files a grievance, participates in an investigation, or opposes a discriminatory education practice or policy is prohibited under University policy, and by state and federal law.

Filing a Grievance or Appealing a Decision at Mines

  • If a student wishes to formally appeal a decision by the Director of Disability Support Services or file a grievance, the student should submit a written statement concerning the grievance to:

    Dean of Students, Colorado School of Mines
    Student Life Office, Ben H. Parker Student Center
    Golden, CO 80401

    The written statement should be filed promptly, but no later than thirty (30) calendar days of the decision or occurrence giving rise to the grievance, and should include all relevant information and documentation.

  • At a minimum, the statement must include:
    1.  a clear statement of the request or concern;
    2.  the factual basis for the grievance;
    3.  the date of any decision or action that the student is grieving;
    4.  the names of all Colorado School of Mines community members involved;
    5.  a summary of the action(s) the student has taken to resolve the matter informally if any; and
    6.  a statement of the student’s expectation of specific outcome.
  • Upon receipt of the grievance, the Dean of Students shall review the grievance and information submitted, and conduct an investigation. The Dean of Students may consult with the Director of Disability Support Services, Mines’ ADA coordinator, or other administrative staff when necessary and appropriate.
  • Upon completion of the investigation, a written determination will be delivered to the student within fifteen (15) business days of the receipt of the grievance, unless the need for additional review time is communicated to the student. The Dean of Students may affirm the decision of the Director of Disability Support Services, or return the matter for further consideration.

The Colorado School of Mines has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging discrimination prohibited by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 794) or Section 202 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended (42 U.S.C. 12132).

Filing a Federal Complaint

Under the requirements of the ADA and the Rehabilitation Act, individuals with disabilities have a right to file complaints directly with the Office of Civil Rights within the U.S. Department of Education.