Advocates & Allies
Mines Advocates is a group of Orediggers who are committed to supporting women on campus. Advocates are active proponents of gender diversity and equality, which at Mines means increasing the number of women faculty, encouraging the hiring of and promotion of women to administrative and leadership positions, and ensuring the fair and equitable treatment of women at Mines within their units. Advocates foster dialogue with the Oredigger community through the Allies for Gender Equity workshop, adapted from the nationally recognized program at North Dakota State University.
Allies for Gender Equity Workshop
During an hour-long interactive, scenario-based workshop, the Advocate facilitators invite the Mines community to explore incidents of micro and macroaggressions experienced by women colleagues. Participants practice appropriate actions to take in those situations.
Workshop is not recorded nor will identifying information from the dialogue be discussed away from the session.
Meet the Advocates
- Christopher (Chris) Coulston, Chair / EE firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dustin Olson / Public Safety email@example.com
- Sareen Lambright Dale / SHAPE firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelly Sorge / Director of Fitness email@example.com
- Mark Orrs / EDS firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carolyn Freedman / Global Initiatives email@example.com
- Cynthia Norrgran / CBE firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mirna Mattjik / EDS email@example.com
- Bryann Lynch / Public Safety firstname.lastname@example.org
- Annette Pilkington / WISEM email@example.com
- Julia Roos / EDS firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Thiry / Arthur Lakes Library email@example.com
History of Advocates & Allies
In April 2019, we brought the nationally recognized Advocates and Allies for Gender Equity program to campus. The workshop provides men with a deeper understanding of the inequities facing their women colleagues in higher education and provides them with a set of tools to respond in the moment as an ally. Over 80 men faculty and staff completed allies training for gender equity since its introduction to campus. A parallel session for women, Gender and Higher Education: Exploring Women’s Experiences was offered, and a facilitated listening session was offered in early fall. Learn more about Advocates & Allies.
Members of the Women Advisory Board (WAB) selected seven men Advocates from a pool of applicants in late summer 2019. The Advocates completed a two-day, seven-hour training facilitated by the Advocates and Allies trainers to create an Advocates & Allies Mission Statement, objectives, principles and actions, and presented their work to the WAB. The WAB advises the work of the advocates and communicates feedback on gendered environments from other women colleagues and peers at Mines.
The advocates are currently delivering the Allies for Gender Equity workshop to the Mines community and pursuing paths to further their advocacy work across campus.