Any student traveling internationally as part of a group, or as an individual receiving funding from Colorado School of Mines, must complete a travel registration.

Failure to complete this registration form prior to departure may result in the student funding for the trip to not be released, their participation on the trip to be revoked, or both.

Note: Students who have applied to study abroad through our study abroad portal ( do NOT have to complete a travel registration.

We are committed to helping every student have a safe and educational experience abroad. If there is an emergency abroad, we need to know where you are, and who to contact if needed. Travel registration is our way to ensure every student from Colorado School of Mines is fully covered by a comprehensive insurance policy. In an emergency situation, we want to make sure all students on the trip receive the same standard of care.

Complete your travel registration after you confirm your flight details, unless you are planning to travel to a country with a level 3 or 4 travel advisory. If you are planning to travel to a country with a current advisory, contact education abroad as soon as possible, and before booking any flights. If you do not complete your travel registration prior to submitting an expense report, your expenses may not be approved.

You will still need to purchase our approved insurance. This insurance will act as your primary insurance while you are abroad on a group trip. 

You can find this information on the CISI Website. 

Students must fill out this form before every international trip. In addition, CISI insurance only covers you for the time while you are abroad, not the entire year. You will need to purchase CISI insurance for every time you travel. 

No.  If you are a postdoc or faculty member traveling alone, you do not need to fill out the travel registration. If students (undergrad or graduate) plan on travelling with you, they WILL need to complete the travel registration.  Do be aware that if you are receiving funding with a student group, all students in the group will need to fill out a travel registration. You are always welcome to come into our office and we can advise you about your upcoming international travel.

It is highly recommended that faculty members get the CISI Insurance for their travel. 

Faculty members traveling with students overnight should review the Clery Travel Reporting Info.

Faculty members traveling with students that qualify under “school sponsored overnight travel” should complete this form, in addition to the travel registration.

Title IX Information
For Title IX information and reporting please visit Title IX at Mines

Device Safety Information
For information and advice on keeping your devices and data safe while traveling, review this Device Safety Information Guide

United States Department of State – Smart Traveler Tips:

  1. Apply early for your passport.  If you already have one, make sure it is valid at least 6 months after you travel.
  2. Safeguard your passport.  While overseas, carry copies of your passport ID page and foreign visa with you at all times.
  3. If your passport is lost or stolen, report it immediately to the nearest embassy or consulate, or at 1-877-487-2778.
  4. Learn about travel regulations, local laws, and customs for your destination at
  5. Receive travel and safety updates while abroad by enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

United States State Department Contact Information

  • From US: 1-888-407-4747
  • From Overseas: +1-202-501-4444

Report a Lost or Stolen Passport:

  • From the U.S. & Canada 1-888-407-4747
  • From Overseas +1 202-501-4444


Global Education
Green Center, Suite 219
924 16th Street
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401 

International Student and Scholar Services:
Education Abroad:
International Admissions: