H-1B Visa Overview

The H-1B is a temporary (non-immigrant) visa intended for highly educated international professionals to work in specialty occupations requiring at least a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent. The H-1B visa sponsorship of a potential international employee must be petitioned for by the host employer.

H-1B is often an appropriate visa classification for full-time salaried academic personnel, to include:

  • Research Associates and Senior Fellows who graduated from US schools or who are currently gaining practical training in the US on another valid non-immigrant visa type
    • Graduates of US schools must exhaust their eligibility for F-1 Optional Practical Training before changing status to H-1B
    • J-1 Exchange Visitors must exhaust their five years of J-1 research scholar eligibility before changing status to H-1B
  • Adjunct Instructors
  • Lecturers and Senior Lecturers
  • Assistant Professors, Associate Professors and Professors, including appointments that are “acting,” “research” and “clinical”

Mines provides opportunities for international candidates to be present on the Mines campus in various other visa categories to include J-1 Research Scholar and J-1 Short-term Scholar.

H-1B Visa Application

International candidates who have been identified by Mines departments as being the most qualified candidate for an open position may work with Mines Office of General Counsel (OGC) for the H-1B petition process. The OGC team is highly skilled in assisting these candidates and inviting departments to petition for the H-1B visa designation on behalf of Mines. 


International Student & Scholar Services
924 16th Street
Green Center, Suite 219
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401

Office Hours
Monday through Friday, 9:00a – 12:00p and 1:30p – 4:00p

Main Office Phone and Email
(303) 273-3210 / isss@mines.edu