STEP 1: Nomination to Mines  (6-8 Months Before Arrival)

  • Fall and Academic Year Deadline: March
  • Spring Deadline: September

STEP 2: Apply to Mines

  • Fall and Academic Year Deadline: March 15
  • Spring Deadline: October 1

STEP 3: Acceptance to Mines (~2-4 weeks after application submission)

STEP 4: US Visa Appointment (as soon as available)

STEP 5: Submit Mines Course Requests (you’ll receive an email) 

STEP 6: Submit Housing Request (~3-4 Months Before Arrival)

STEP 7: Immunization Verification (2-3 Months before Start of the term)

STEP 8: Pay Mines Fees (Before Census Day)

  • Approx. $1200 Student Fees are due to Mines.
  • Shared Housing: $800-950/month, Single Housing: $1200-1500/month (on campus)

  • Housing payments on an individual basis (ususally monthly)

STEP 9: Arrive in the US (Less than 30 days before Start of Term)

STEP 10: International Orientation

STEP 11: Complete Exchange Program

  • Fall Semester: Ends Mid-December
  • Spring Semester: Ends Mid-May

STEP 12: Depart the US (Less than 30 days after End of Term)

Required Documentation

For your application:

  • Official Transcript from Home University
  • Duolingo, TOEFL or IELTS test (EXCEPT citizens of: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Belize, Botswana, Canada, Ghana, Ireland, Jamacia, Liberia, Mauritius, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norther Marina Islands, Philippines, Samoa, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, UK, US, Zambia)
    • Duolingo: minimum 105
    • TOEFL: minimum 79
    • IELTS: minimum 6.5
    • B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency: 17
    • Pearson: 53

Upon Admission: 

  • Statement of Financial Support
    • Letter confirming support of $2000 per month
    • Bank letter to verify funds

Visa Information: 

  • After admission and upon submission of Statement of Financial Support and letters, initial visa documentation will be provided.
  • Students will receive a J-1 visa. Mines will provide the DS-2019 documentation necessary to secure the visa.


On-Campus: Mines Park

Mines Park is an apartment complex that was built to provide convenient, affordable housing for the Mines community. The complex offers one, two, and three bedroom units for unmarried undergraduate and graduate students, and one and two bedroom units for families. Mines Park apartments for international students are fully furnished. Kitchens are equipped with a full-size refrigerator with an ice maker, dishwasher, and an oven and range. Each bedroom has wired and wireless connections to the Mines network.

No one is guaranteed a spot in Mines Park. Incoming study abroad and exchange students (who have filled out the housing form) are entered in a lottery to determine which students get a spot there. If you are chosen to live in Mines Park, the Office of Global Education will reserve your spot for you. 


If you are not selected to live in Mines Park or would prefer to live off-campus, the Office of Global Education can connect you with community members who frequently host international students, or study abroad students who have sub-leases available. Any off-campus housing agreement is managed by the student and their landlord. 

Mineslist is another recommended resource for finding off-campus accomodation. Mineslist is a public Facebook group for current Mines students, alumni, and community members that often has housing and apartment listings.

Summit View Village also offers affordable housing options. This apartment complex is located just two miles away from Mines.

Email abroad@mines.edu if you would like a current list of community memebers with off-campus housing available. 

Understanding the Course Catalog

Course Codes

Mines course codes have two main parts: 4 letters and 3 numbers (ex. CBEN110)

Letters indicate the department which offers the course (Ex. CBEN= Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering).

Numbers indicate the level of the course. The first of the three numbers indicates the year in which is is traditionally taken. The second two numbers are simply an identifier for the specific course. Any course numbered 500 or above is a gradute level course. 

  • 1XX= 1st year undergraduate
  • 2XX=2nd year undergraduate
  • 3XX=3rd year undergraduate
  • 4XX=4th year undergraduate
  • 5XX & 6XX= Graduate level

Academic Year

The academic year listed at the top of the page indicates the year for which the catalog was written. However, just because a course is listed in the catalog DOES NOT mean the course will be offered in the year you come to Mines.  The catalog is simply used as a guideline.  If you need to know if a specific course is offered a certain semester, please email abroad@mines.edu.

Semester Offered

In the course description:

  • (I) represents fall semester (August – December)
  • (II) represents spring semester (January – May)
  • (S) represents the summer term (May-August)


How to Search for Courses Using the Mines Catalog:

First, navigate to the Mines Academic Catalog website

Search by academic department

  1. Select the department you are looking for then select a major along the left side of the screen.
  2. Click “Courses” from the blue tabs underneath the department name

Use this method to find courses corresponding to your degree plan at your home university (i.e. If you are a petroleum engineering student, you can easily find all petroleum engineering classes). Search by department here

Search by keyword

Every page within the catalog site has a search box at the top. Type in a keyword to locate departments, topics, or individual courses within the catalog or find courses sharing a topic to a course you need to transfer back to your home university.

NOTE: General departments will appear first in search results. To see individual courses, scroll down until you see a course code at the beginning of a result listing.

  • Ex. Searching “fluid mechanics” will result in a list of all courses that mention “fluid mechanics” in their descriptions. This allows you to compare courses and determine the best fit.

You can also use keyword search to find elective classes that match your interests (Ex. “piano”, “brewing”, “karate”, “Shakespeare”, etc.).

Course Registration:

After receiving your Campus Wide ID (CWID) and setting up your Mines account, you will have access to the Mines online portal, Trailhead.

Trailhead allows a real-time search of courses to be offered in the next term, and will have course details such as date & time, instructor, and location. The Office of Global Education will send instructions and tips for using this system, as well as a link to a registration form for requesting classes. 


Health Insurance Requirement

All Mines students are required to hold adequate US health insurance as a condition of enrollment and to meet the J-1 visa requirement. Exchange students have the option to choose either:

  • Purchase CISI insurance (Please be aware, CISI is a third-party insurance provider and not Mines insurance. However, it does meet all of the requirements necessary to waive SHIP)

Contact Mines Education Abroad at abroad@mines.edu if you have questions.

Students who do not meet the Health Requirements prior to the start of their classes will receive a hold on their accountVisit the Mines Health Center website for more information.


Exchange Students

If you are coming to Mines on an exchange agreement, you do not pay Mines tuition. However, you will pay some fees covering on-campus amenities such as computer access and Mines Rec Center access. These mandatory fees total about $1,200 and are NOT part of the tution waiver agreement. View Fees Here.

Study Abroad Students

If you are coming to Mines as a study abroad student (not exchange), you will be required to pay tuition to Mines as an out-of-state resident as well as fees covering on-campus computer access and access to the Mines Rec Center. View Fees Here.

Congratulations, you’ve been accepted to study abroad at Mines! 

Visit this page  for more information on visas, international orientation, and things to do before you arrive. 

Immunization Requirements

Deadlines for Immunizations are as follows:

  • Fall Semester Deadline: June 30
  • Spring Semester Deadline: December 15

The following immunization information is required by the Mines Student Health Center for all students. Go to the Health Center website for details on how to submit this information:

  • MMR: Measles, Mumps and Rubella Vaccines: Colorado law requires every student to submit proof of two (2) valid vaccinations for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) given no earlier than 4 days before the student’s first birthday. There must be at least 28 calendar days between the two vaccinations. Proof of immunization must be provided in English.  Please check with your physician, high school, previous university, county office, and/or military to obtain an official copy of your records.  You may also provide a blood titer indicating proof of your immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella.  Medical, religious and personal exemptions are allowed by law; however, in the event of an outbreak, exempted persons may be subject to quarantine and exclusion from school.
  • TB Screening Questions:  Completion of the Tuberculosis questionnaire (Forms tab of the Health Portal) is required.  In some cases, TB testing may also be indicated.
  • Proof of all immunizations must be UPLOADED to the Health Portal for verification.

Additional requirement if you are living on campus:

Colorado law requires all students living on campus in student housing to submit proof of a Meningitis ACWY vaccine given within the last five years, OR to sign and upload the Meningococcal waiver form.  If the 5-year period will expire while the student is living on campus, we recommend receiving another Meningococcal ACWY.  Students who live on campus will have a hold placed on their account 5 years after the date of the most recent Meningitis ACWY vaccine. Currently, Meningitis ACWY is required, not Meningitis B.

If you are under age 18 as of the first day of class:

Consent to Treat Minor (“Forms” tab found on the Health Portal). Please upload after completion.

**Any questions can be directed to the Mines Student Health Center at shc@mines.edu. Please note that the International Office does not control these Immunization Requirements and so we cannot help you extend deadlines or waive requirements

Students who do not meet the Health Requirements prior to the start of their classes will receive a hold on their accountVisit the Mines Health Center website for more information.



Global Education
Green Center, Suite 219
924 16th Street
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401 

International Student and Scholar Services: isss@mines.edu
Education Abroad: abroad@mines.edu
International Admissions: admissions@mines.edu