Graduate Application Requirements for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents
We appreciate your interest in graduate education at Colorado School of Mines!
We know that you are weighing many options about your future, academically and professionally. Your interest in graduate education is something we take very seriously. We will provide you the necessary information you need to make an informed decision. If Colorado School of Mines is in your future plans you can be assured we will do our best to meet your goals and ambitions.
We encourage you to continue your academic success with us!
If you would like to visit campus please click here: Visit Mines
Below is a listing of required documents that you must submit to the Office of Graduate Studies along with the application for admission.
Please ensure that all application materials are received by the deadline date. Applications will be reviewed with unofficial transcripts and test scores. If you are accepted into the program the official application materials must be received by the Office of Graduate Studies before you can register for classes.
- Graduate Record Examamination (GRE) test scores (Colorado School of Mines institution code: 4073): All graduate degree programs at Mines require completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). We will accept GRE scores from tests taken within the past five years. Students applying to the applied Physics (M.S. or Ph.D.) program and for funding, must submit general GRE scores. The Physics Subject Test GRE score is not required, but is recommended. The Natural Resources & Energy Policy (NREP) program will accept Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores in place of GRE scores. In addition, NREP will also accept the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) scores. For LSAT, send a copy of the score sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation: Please have your recommenders submit letters through the online application system or by email to: email@example.com. Letters that are not submitted through the online application system should include the Recommendation Form. Letters of recommendation should be solicited from sources knowledgeable of your academic and professional capabilities. They should also describe your qualifications for the specific degree program into which you are applying.
- One (1) official transcript from all current and previous institutions (unofficial transcripts can be used for the review process). You may upload* copies of transcripts through the online system.
*Uploaded transcripts must contain both your name and the name of the institution to be valid.
-Transcripts are marked ‘unofficial‘ if your program is not complete and still ‘in progress’
-Transcripts are marked ‘unofficial‘ if they are not in a sealed envelope from the University
- Statement of Goals: The purpose of the statement of goals (or personal statement) is to introduce yourself to the Graduate Admissions Review Committee. In the statement, you should address professional and personal goals, as well as why Colorado School of Mines would be the best place to achieve those goals. In addition, any skills or experience you have that you think are applicable to a Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship award should be addressed in the statement. It is typically one to two pages in length.
- Resume/curriculum vitae (CV)
- A non-refundable application fee is required of all applicants. Please note: Our online application will only accept fees paid by credit or debit card.
Send all supplemental materials to:
Colorado School of Mines
Starzer Welcome Center
1812 Illinois Street
Golden, CO 80401
In order to speed up the admissions review process, copies of test scores and transcripts will be accepted until official paperwork arrives. Official scores and transcripts are required for registering into classes should you be accepted.
Once your application is successfully submitted you will receive a confirmation email. Please ensure the e-mail address within your online application profile is the appropriate and correct e-mail. Once you have received confirmation you will be able to check the application status through your online application’s homepage. (You will not be able to track an ‘unsubmitted’ application online). When all the required application materials have been received by the Office of Graduate Studies your application will be complete and released to the department for review. An e-mail notification will be sent to you when your application has been sent for review. Please keep in mind that you can submit the online application without having the additional required materials. We will update your application packet as we receive your application materials and will release your application to the department/program for review when all the required materials have been received.
We wish you the best of success in your graduate studies!