Frequently Asked Questions
Application Account Access and Creation
- How do I create an application account?
- What documents are required for my application?
- How do I submit multiple applications, in the same semester?
- How do I submit a new application for a different term?
- How do I reset my password?
- How do I obtain the PIN for my application?
- Am I able to use my mobile device to submit an application?
Application Deadlines and Fees
Application Materials and Requirements
- Are “unofficial” documents permitted for the review process?
- Where do I send documents that I am unable to upload?
- How do I send my official transcripts documents to Mines?
- Why are my “official” transcripts marked unofficial?
- How do I check the status of my credentials?
- How do I update my credentials, after submitting my application?
- Can I submit my application without the letters of recommendation, or other materials?
- Am I required to submit GRE Scores?
- Do I qualify for a TOEFL waiver? (International applicants only)
- What is the GRE/TOEFL institution code for Mines?
- Why won’t the system accept my recommender’s email address?
- I have my letters of recommendation, can I send those to Mines?
- Can I use my letters of recommendation from a previous term in my new application?
Application Decisions and Enrollment Form
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Application Account Access/Creation
Go to the online application page and then click on the “Create Account” tab to get started.
Review the graduate admissions application process.
Please follow these steps:
- Create a new application account for each program you want to apply to. (You will receive a warning message about a previous application, ignore this warning and continue with creating your new application account)
- Enter all of the required information in each application.
- Upload your transcripts, resume and test scores to one application. However, your application(s) will be processed faster if your documents are uploaded to all of your applications.
- Upload your program specific Statement of Purpose to each application.
- You are permitted to use the same Letters of Recommendation for all of your applications, in the SAME term. However, this is not recommended, as the letters should be tailored to the individual program.
Once you have everything complete and you have submitted your application, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we move your credentials to your other application(s).
Please follow these steps:
- Create a new application account for each program (and term) you will be applying to for review. (You will receive a warning message about a previous application, ignore this warning and continue with creating your new application account)
- Email email@example.com to request that we use transcripts and test scores (if still valid) from a previous application
- Have reviewers submit new letters of recommendation (LORs) (We will not use letters of recommendation from a previous application.)
Go to the application page and click Forgot your PIN or password to reset your password. We are unable to reset your password for you.
Go to the application page and click Forgot your PIN or password to obtain your PIN. We are unable to provide your PIN.
The application form is not mobile responsive at this time. You will still need to use a laptop or a desktop to fill the application form. However, you will now be able to login to the application homepage, create an account, reset your password, see your dashboard and status, click on your decision letter, complete and submit your enrollment form all from your mobile devices.
Please find the application deadlines on the deadlines page.
Priority Deadline: Applicants requesting financial support are strongly encouraged to submit applications by this date. Applications that do not meet the Priority Deadline will still be considered for financial support for as long as support is available. However, applications submitted after the Priority Deadline will be processed after we have completed processing applications submitted on or prior to this date.
Application fees vary by application type and semester. Please view the deadline page for the semester in which you intend to apply. The fees are listed at the top of the deadlines page.
Application Credentials and Requirements
Yes, unofficial transcripts and test scores can be used for the review process. You may upload* legible copies/screenshots through the online system. *Uploaded documents must contain your name. Transcripts must also contain the name of the institution to be valid.
If for some reason you are not able to upload a required document or you have updates after submission, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email questions about the application process to email@example.com.
All official transcripts must be sent directly from your previous Institutions:
- By mail:
Starzer Welcome Center
1812 Illinois Street
Golden, CO 80401
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
There could be a few reasons:
- You sent them recently and we have not processed them yet.
- Transcripts are marked “unofficial” if your program is not complete and still ‘in progress’.
- Transcripts are marked “unofficial” if your degree awarded is not noted on the transcript.
- Transcripts are marked “unofficial” if they are not in a sealed envelope from the university or sent to us electronically from the university.
- International transcripts are marked “unofficial” if there is not a certified and stamped legal translation.
- International transcripts are marked “unofficial” if there is not a translated copy of your diploma or certification of completion.
To check the stats of your credentials, log into your application account. If you sent your “official” documents but they are not being reflected in your account, we may not have had a chance to process them yet. Please allow us up to two weeks to process documents that are received via email. It may take longer if your documents were sent via the postal service. In some cases, you may also see documents remain unofficial until a final decision has been rendered. If you are not admitted, your documents may remain unofficial.
Please send updates to email@example.com. Please remember if your document is in review, your application may have already been reviewed by some committee members based on what you originally submitted.
Yes, you are permitted to submit your application with missing materials. However, your application will not be sent for review until all materials have been received. All application materials must be submitted BEFORE the application deadline.
GRE test scores (Colorado School of Mines institution code: 4073): All graduate degree programs at Mines require completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). We will accept GRE scores from tests taken within the past five years. Students applying to the applied Physics (M.S. or Ph.D.) program and for funding must submit general GRE scores. The Physics Subject Test GRE score is not required, but is recommended. The Division of Economics and Business, Space Resources Program and the Division of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences will accept GMAT Graduate Management Admission Test scores in place of GRE scores.
If you are admitted to a program at Mines, you will need to immediately submit your official GRE scores, Colorado School of Mines institution code is 4073.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores (Colorado School of Mines institution code: 4073): Students whose native language is not English must submit acceptable TOEFL scores as part of the application process.
Mines requires a minimum score of 79 internet-based test (iBT).
Tests must have been taken within the past two years to be accepted. Applications that do not have valid TOEFL scores will not be released to the Department for review. If you have completed a university degree program in the United States or in an English speaking country within the previous two years, you do NOT have to submit TOEFL scores. If the TOEFL test is not offered in your country, we will also accept the IELTS exam or the Pearson Test of English. IELTS minimum score of 6.5. Pearson minimum score of 53. Please note that TOEIC exam results cannot be used to satisfy this requirement.
The institution code for Mines is 4073. This should be used when requesting official GRE/ TOEFL (for International Applicants) reports from ETS. You do not need a Department code.
If you copied and pasted the email address, try placing the cursor just before the first letter and hitting delete. If that does not work, try deleting the email address and typing it in.
We do not accept letters of recommendation directly from applicants. We do not grant exceptions to this policy. Letters of Recommendation should be submitted through the electronic application system, mailed or emailed directly from the Recommender. Letters of recommendation that are submitted via mail/email will only be accepted if they are sent directly from the recommender (No exceptions). If letters are mailed/emailed, they are subject to verification from the recommender.
You are not permitted to use letters of recommendation from a different term for a new application unless it is a deferral. Recommenders will need to submit new letters.
Application Decisions and Enrollment Form
Please check the email for a date. Your letter will be available on that date. We sometimes send the email one day before your letter is available.
Try right-clicking the decision letter link and clicking on the “open in a new tab” option. This should open the link to your decision letter for you.
Try right-clicking the enrollment form link (located in your decision letter) and clicking on the “open in a new tab” option. This should open the link to the enrollment form for you.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
The best way to see what we have to offer at Mines is to begin with our website. Please visit our degree programs listing. This will allow you to see the different departments and programs within Mines. You could also visit the deadlines page. Each program is linked directly to their graduate program information and the department contact page.
If this information did not address your issue, please click the Technical Support link at the bottom of the application login page (or at the top of the application page, if your are logged in). If you have an application specific question, not answered here or in your application instructions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact the Admissions Office in the Office of Graduate Studies and we will assist you.
Current Mines Students (Not Newly Admitted)
If you are in a PhD program and are applying for a Master’s Degree (MS Along the way) in the same program that you are currently enrolled in, you will need to fill out the MS Along the Way Application.
There are several ways to get information about the Combined Program:
- Visit the Combined Undergraduate (BS) and Graduate (MS or Ph.D.) Degree Programs page
- Visit, call, or email the Office of Graduate Studies
- Talk to your advisor or department administrator/program manager