Graduate Student Checklist

Congratulations on your acceptance!

We look forward to you joining the Mines community! The following information is provided to help with your transition to Mines. Please review carefully and contact the Office of Admissions with any questions you may have.

NOTE: Please review the COVID-19 resources and updates found in the orange Mines Climbs Together banner found at the top of this page. Office closures may impact checklist items provided below.

Enrollment Form

If you have not done so already, you will need to submit your enrollment form before continuing. To submit your enrollment form; log in to your online application and click on the enrollment form link. Please allow 2-4 business days for your decision to be processed and your account claim information to be added to your portal.

Account Claim

Please visit and click on New Mines Accepted Applicants for more information about account claim. If you have questions regarding Account Claim you can submit a Support Request to the Mines Help Center “Helpdesk” form. Your CWID, required for the Account Claim process, is found in your Admissions Letter.

*A Mines email account is required once you complete the Account Claim process and will be used for all official correspondence.


Your Enrollment Form must be submitted and you must have completed the Account Claim process before you can set up your Trailhead account and register for classes. Trailhead is the Mines student system which allows you to register for classes, view your transcript, set up your email account, etc. All students are required to confirm their attendance.

Registration dates and deadlines can be found on the Academic Calendar. If you have any problems with your Trailhead registration, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 303-273-3200, Course schedules are available online through the Registrar’s website. If you have any problems with your Trailhead Registration, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 303-273-3200,

International students:

You will be contacted by the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office within 48-72 hours of confirming your enrollment with information regarding your immigration process, any financial support documentation needed and any course registration requirements. They will typically contact you via your Mines email address. If you have not received an email from ISSS within 72 hours of confirming your enrollment, please contact them at

If you have any problems with your Trailhead Registration, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 303-273-3200,

Student ID (Blaster) Card

“Blaster” student ID cards can be obtained from the BlasterCard Office after you have registered for classes. The BlasterCard Office is located in the Ben H. Parker Student Center, Room E140 and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You must show a valid State or federally issued photo ID to receive your Blaster Card. If you have any questions, please call (303) 384-2273 for more details.


Tuition and fee payments are due on the first business day following Census Day. There is a 5 business day grace period for payment. Therefore, any payment not received by the close of business on the last day of the grace period will be assessed a late fee. Information about tuition and fees may be found at Please also review options on how to pay your Tuition.


Students accept the Student Financial Responsibility Agreement each semester they are enrolled. Student Financial Responsibility Agreement.

WICHE Qualified Students

Your Admissions letter will inform you if you qualify for the WICHE (link to WICHE page – program. This benefit is automatically applied and means that you will receive in state tuition as an out of state resident. If at any point you decide to switch to a major that does not qualify for WICHE, you will be required to pay Non-Resident tuition for one full year, as you establish Colorado residency.

If you wish to opt out of the WICHE program please notify us at
If you have any questions about the WICHE program please reach out to
If you are receiving a Teaching Assistantship or a Research Assistantship, please reach out to your Department before making a decision about your WICHE status.

Colorado Residency and Tuition Classification

Non-Resident (U.S. citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents) students wishing to Petition for Colorado Residency should begin to show intent to become a resident prior to the first day of classes. Students must reside in the state for at least 12 months to be eligible. All petitions for in-state status are handled by the Registrar. Please download the Residency and Tuition Classification Guidelines form. A continuing, non-resident student who believes that he or she has become eligible for in-state resident tuition due to events that have occurred subsequent to his or her initial enrollment may file a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification with the Registrar’s Office. Information on petitioning for in-state residency status and deadlines can be found here. Upon receipt of the petition, the Registrar will initially decide whether the student should be granted in-state residency status. The Registrar’s decision may be appealed by petition to the Tuition Classification Review Committee. For more information about this process, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

Active duty military students stationed in Colorado can receive Colorado resident tuition rates by completing a Military Tuition Classification form. This form should be completed by your Base Education Services Officer and returned to our Registrar’s Office. You can review more information on our Veterans Services Page.

Students in approved programs who are residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming are eligible to receive in-state tuition classification. You can find which programs participate in the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) or WICHE which promotes the sharing of higher education resources through the link provided.

Mines Undergraduates that are attending as Non-Resident will need to Petition for Colorado Residency in order to change your residency status.

Final Official Transcripts and Diplomas

If you have submitted your Enrollment Decision Form via your Applicant Portal to confirm your enrollment at Mines, you will now need to submit final official transcripts and diplomas from all previous colleges/universities you have attended or are currently attending. Please refer to the enrollment checklist in your Applicant Portal to see what items we have already received and what we are still missing.  

You will be permitted to register for courses in your first academic term at Mines without Final Official transcripts. However, a hold to prevent registration for future terms will be placed on your account if these documents are not received within your first term of attendance.  

Please read the following information for a definition of final official transcripts.   

Final Official transcripts must meet the following criteria: 

  • Arrive to Mines directly from the prior college or university* 
  • Be accompanied by a diploma if you received a degree from that institution. The diploma must contain the date the degree was conferred.  
  • Contain the transcript(s) and diploma(s) both in English* and the original, native language. If the international university issues official documents in English, that is acceptable and no translation is needed. 
  • Show all courses with final grades (i.e. no grades in progress). 
  • Be accompanied by a credential evaluation if the university you attended was located outside of the U.S. (more information in the next bullet and below in the Credential Evaluations section). 
  • International Transcripts: *We will also accept transcripts and diplomas as official if they come to us from a NACES Credential Evaluator and your credential evaluation may serve as the English translation. See the Credential Evaluations section below for more information. 


Methods for submitting official documents: 

  1. Directly from your prior university via email to us at  
  2. Directly from your prior university via any electronic document sending service 
  3. Directly from your prior university via postal mail, in a sealed envelope to: 

 Colorado School of Mines
 Graduate Admissions
 Starzer Welcome Center
 1812 Illinois Street
 Golden, CO 80401 

4. Delivered to the Office of Admissions in a closed, sealed envelope with a university signature, stamp or seal on the outside of the envelope. 


Credential Evaluation 

  • If you attended a university outside of the U.S., you are admitted and have confirmed your enrollment at Mines, your international transcripts and diplomas must be accompanied by a course-by-coursecredential evaluation completed by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) memberPlease refer to your enrollment checklist in your Applicant Portal after you have been admitted and decide to enroll at Mines to determine if you are required to submit a credential evaluation and to check if we have received yours. 
  • The preferred NACES members are Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), WES (World Education Services (WES) and SpanTran (use this link to obtain our partner discount). Other NACES members will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Remember to designate Mines Graduate Admissions as a copy recipient of your evaluation. The typical cost for an evaluation ranges from $150-200 USD.
  • If your university issued your transcripts and diplomas in a language other than English, we require a copy of the documents in the native language as well. Your credential evaluation will be accepted as the English translation of the documents. 
  • Some credential evaluators will forward your official transcripts and diplomas directly to Mines for an additional fee. Mines does accept these documents as official. 


  • You are admitted for a certificate or non-degree program.
  • You are sponsored by Fulbright, Saudi Aramco or Bolashak (unless you are seeking to transfer credit).
  • You have obtained a Master’s degree in a STEM discipline (Business degrees not included) within the past 5 years or are in the process of completing your Master’s degree at a U.S. university.


Official Test Scores
  • If you have not already had Official GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo scores (only those required for your application) sent to us, we will need those as well. 
  • To be considered official, your test scores must come directly to us from the testing agency. Please use code 4073 for the GRE and TOEFL.
  • Official test scores are required BEFORE you will be permitted to register, and official TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo scores are required before Mines will send you an immigration document.
Health Information and Requirements

In order to enroll at Mines, you will need to send the following required information via the Mines Health Portal (on Trailhead main page – Health Portal bubble looks like a medical bag).

Access complete details regarding the immunization requirements and a “how-to” guide for submitting them on the Student Health Center’s Immunization Requirements page.  Please note: Registration holds may be placed if requirements are not complete by the indicated deadline.

Required for ALL students

  • MMR: Measles, Mumps and Rubella Vaccines: Colorado law requires every student to submit proof of two (2) valid vaccinations for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) given no earlier than 4 days before the student’s first birthday. There must be at least 28 calendar days between the two vaccinations.
  • TB Screening Questions: Completion of the Tuberculosis questionnaire (Forms tab of the Health Portal) is required.  In some cases, TB testing may also be indicated.
  • Proof of all immunizations must be uploaded to the Health Portal for verification.

Additional requirement if you are living on campus

  • Colorado law requires all students living on campus in student housing to submit proof of a Meningitis ACWY vaccine given within the last five years, OR to sign and upload the Meningococcal waiver form. If the 5-year period will expire while the student is living on campus, we recommend receiving another Meningococcal ACWY.  Students who live on campus will have a hold placed on their account 5 years after the date of the most recent Meningitis ACWY vaccine.  Currently, Meningitis ACWY is required, not Meningitis B.

If you are under age 18 as of the first day of class

  • Consent to Treat Minor (“Forms” tab found on the Health Portal). Please upload after completion.

Questions? Call the Student Health Center at 303.273.3381 – we are happy to help. If we have questions for you, we will email your Mines account.

Financial Assistantships/Employment and Financial Aid

If you have been awarded an assistantship or fellowship by your academic department, you will need to contact your department and complete the contract outlining the components of your award. In addition to the contract, it is the policy of Colorado School of Mines to conduct background investigations as a condition of Employment or Appointment. The link to this information can be found in your applicant portal. You may review the Summary of Your Rights that we are required to provide you as part of the background screening process. Questions related to the background investigation should be directed to Human Resources.

For those students wishing to obtain student loans, information is available from the Financial Aid website.

Pre-employment Documentation

Pre-employment Documentation is required for any graduate student with a Research or Teaching Assistant position. MAPS (Mines Administrative Processing Services) will contact you via your Mines email with steps to complete this requirement.

Residence Life

The Apartments at Mines Park are home to undergraduate and graduate students and their families. Single student housing is available in 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments. Family housing is available in 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. Please note that the sign-up process for Mines Park happens in early March. There is a high demand for apartments, so housing is not guaranteed. 
Please reach out to the Department of Residence Life for additional information on Mines Park, including the sign-up process, via email ( or via phone (303.869.5433). Additionally, Golden and the surrounding communities offer several affordable housing options. Close communities include Lakewood, Arvada, Denver, Boulder, and Littleton. Please review the Residence Life Off-Campus Housing Resources page for additional information.

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation (via Canvas Course) is where you will receive important and timely information regarding your time here at Mines. Please check your email account for notices and an invitation to the Orientation Canvas Course.

The Office of Graduate Studies (OGS) will provide you with orientation information, explain Mines procedures and practices and answer any questions you may have. In addition to the OGS orientation, departments and programs often sponsor their own orientation events for new students. Please check with your department or program for more information on these activities.

International students on F1 or J1 visas only: A mandatory orientation program will be provided for international students by the International Student & Scholar Services Office. Be sure to check your email account for notices regarding this event.


Please stop by the Office of Admissions, located at 1812 Illinois Street, with any questions, concerns you may have or just to say hi.

Contact us.