Non-Degree Graduate Information

Whether you are a practicing professional, looking to expand your knowledge-base or enhance your skill-set, or you are preparing yourself to pursue a graduate degree, you are welcome to take courses as a non-degree student here at Mines.

If you have already achieved a bachelor’s degree (in any subject) you must use the online graduate application for admission to apply. Please make sure to select Non-Degree under the ‘Application Type’ section and fill out the appropriate information that follows, within the online application, to be considered for admission.

Additionally, you will not be able to complete your application until after the course schedule has been approved and released for the term you wish to take courses in (Fall, Spring, Summer I or Summer II). Please check the Registrar’s page for a schedule of courses.

Please note the following:

  • Non-degree courses are not eligible for financial aid at Colorado School of Mines.
  • Non-degree courses are charged tuition at the graduate tuition rate, regardless of course level, if you have previously earned a bachelor’s degree.
  • Successful completion of Non-Degree courses does not guarantee acceptance into a Degree-Seeking program at Colorado School of Mines.

For your convenience you can download this checklist here: application instructions for non-degree applicants.

Please ensure that your non-degree application is submitted by the deadline date.

  • As a non-degree applicant you are required to submit a NEW application for each term you are applying to (Fall, Spring, Summer I and Summer II)
  • A non-refundable $10 application fee is required of all non-degree applicants. Please note: Our online application will only accept fees paid by credit or debit card.
  • You MUST complete the course number list section, within the online application, before you submit the application
  • International non-degree applicants are required to submit a valid I-20 and I-94 form (stapled to your passport). These documents can be uploaded under “Non-Degree Uploads” in your online application. Please feel free to visit our International Student and Scholars Office
  • Applicants who qualify for Colorado residency must submit copies of all four documents per Colorado Law, before an application can be processed. These documents can be uploaded under “Non-Degree Uploads” in your online application*:
    – A Colorado State Income Tax Return
    – A Colorado State Vehicle Registration
    – A Colorado State Driver’s License
    – A Lease Agreement or Purchase Papers showing your physical proof of residence in Colorado for the past 12 months.
    *If you have attended Colorado School of Mines within the previous 12 months as a Colorado resident you do not need to submit these documents.

Once your application is complete and submitted it is processed in the Graduate Office. From there it is forwarded to the Registrar’s Office. Assuming you have the required prerequisites for the course (or courses) you would like to enroll in and assuming there is available space in the course, you will be registered by the Registrar’s Office. You will receive an email confirming your registration. Be sure to print this email; it contains specific information about withdrawing from classes, should you need to do so, and the deadline for any changes you need to make. If you have not received notification within 5 days of your first class please contact the Graduate Office at: