Advisor/Thesis Committee

The Advisor/Thesis Committee Request Form initiates a request from a student to appoint, or change, their Advisor and Thesis Committee.

Master’s non-thesis students only need to submit a Master’s Non-Thesis/Add Minor Rep form if they are changing advisors or if they are adding a Minor Representative.

All Master’s thesis students must submit a Master’s Thesis Advisor / Thesis Committee form.

All PhD students must submit a PhD Advisor/Thesis Committee form.

Before submitting this form, please make sure your advisor/committee members meet the Advisor-Committee Requirements, or see the Catalog.

To make this request:

  • Download the appropriate form for your degree
  • Complete, print out and sign the form

The form:

  • Must be submitted prior to the Degree Audit form (thesis based students only)
  • Must be submitted for every degree. Students in both an  MS thesis and a PhD or 2 MS thesis degrees must submit a committee form for each degree.
  • Must be submitted every time an advisor or committee member is changed

For initial advisor/committee requests:

  • Obtain signatures from:
    • Your advisor
    • All Committee members
    • Department head/division director

Please check with your department admin/manager to see if they need to look at your forms and approvals prior to submitting them to OGS at since some departments keep copies.


For advisor/committee changes:

  • Obtain signatures from:
    • Your advisor
    • New Committee members
    • Any member who is being removed from the committee
    • Department head/division director
  • For advisor/committee changes, you do not need to obtain signatures from:
    • Any committee member who signed the initial request. and is remaining on the committee
      • Please type the name of any member who is remaining on the committee

Submit the signed copy to the Office of Graduate Studies for approval.

This form must be submitted and approved prior to submitting your Degree Audit and Admission to Candidacy forms to the Registrar’s Office.

Masters’ non-thesis students only need to submit the form if changing advisors.

Thesis Committee Report Form (For Academic Departments)
The Thesis Committee Report form may be used by Committees to document Thesis Committee meetings and student progress toward degree, and Advisor and Committee assessment of progress toward degree.