Leave of Absence

The Leave of Absence initiates a request from a student to suspend his/her degree program for up to one year. Leaves of absence are granted when it is temporarily impossible for students to continue to work toward a degree.

Students are limited to two, not necessarily consecutive, regular semesters of leave while in a graduate degree program at Mines. Beyond these two semesters, students needing to suspend their degree programs further are required to formally withdraw from the degree program. To continue in the degree program at a later date, candidates would need to apply, and be readmitted, into the degree program. As with all degree program applications, applications from candidates returning from a leave are reviewed by the program and considered for readmission at the sole discretion of the program.

Leave of absence requests for the current semester must be received by the Office of Graduate Studies by noon on census day. Leave of absence requests for prior semesters will not be considered. Any request for a leave of absence must be made to the Office of Graduate Studies and have the prior approval of the student’s faculty advisor and the International Office (if applicable).

The complete Leave of Absence form with all required signatures and a plan describing how the student will successfully complete the degree, must be submitted by noon on census day. Exceptions can be made for extenuating circumstances. If exceptions are made and a student is withdrawn from all credits after census day, the student may receive a partial refund or no refund, depending on when the form is submitted.

The request for a leave of absence must include:

  • The Leave of Absence Request Form indicates the reasons why the student must interrupt his or her studies
  • It needs to be signed by:
    • Student
    • Advisor and Department Head
    • International Office (if applicable) mcramer@mines.edu
    • Financial Aid
    • Dean of Graduate Studies
  • A plan (including a timeline and deadlines) for resuming and completing the work toward the degree in a timely fashion.
  • Incomplete forms will not be accepted.
    • Students who submit incomplete forms will not be dropped from credits and the student will be responsible for paying any tuition and fees due.

The following departments/people will be notified when a student is taking a leave of absence:

Students on leave:

  • Remain in good standing even though they are not registered for any course or research credits.
  • Are not considered active students for enrollment purposes.
  • Will not have access to Mines resources. This includes, but is not limited to, office space, computational facilities, research labs, library and faculty.

Students who fail to register for a fall or spring terms and who are not on approved leaves of absence will have their degree programs terminated. Students who wish to return to graduate school after an unauthorized leave of absence must apply for readmission and pay a $200 readmission fee.

To return from leave, students must complete the appropriate forms (see below).

For more information, please refer to the Mines Catalog.

Return from a Leave of Absence

Students returning from a leave of absence must submit the Return from Leave of Absence form prior to registering for credits.

The Office of Graduate Studies will notify the student once the form has been processed. At that time, the student may register for credits. Please allow 3-5 days to process the form.

Students who do not submit the Return from Leave form will need to submit the Withdrawal from Graduate School form or the degree program will be terminated. Students with  a terminated  degree program who wish to return to Mines, must re-apply online for admission and pay a $200 re-admit fee.

Please contact the Office of Graduate Studies with any questions grad.services@mines.edu