Withdraw from Graduate School

To officially withdraw from Colorado School of Mines, a graduate student must  submit a withdrawal form through the Office Graduate Studies. Exceptions can be made for students who communicate directly with the Graduate Dean.

The Withdraw from Graduate School Form initiates a request from a student to withdraw from Colorado School of Mines. Students who do not register for a fall or spring semester and do not submit either the Withdraw from Graduate School Form or a Leave of Absence form will be inactivated. Inactivated students who return to Mines at a later date will be assessed a $200 re-admission fee.

To make this request:   

  • Download the Withdrawal From Graduate School form. Do not use this form to withdraw from one program/degree. To withdraw from one program, but continue with another program at CSM, use the Withdraw From a Program form.
  • Complete the form, print it and obtain the signatures. Then the student signs the form and submits to the Office of Graduate Studies by no later than the last day of class of the semester in which you wish to withdraw. Incomplete forms will not be accepted.

Students withdrawing from school AND dropping credits:

  • Submit completed form with all signatures to OGS by 12:00pm on census day
    • To drop credits
    • Have the record removed from your transcript and
    • Receive a full refund
  • Forms received after 12:00pm on census day
    • Credits are withdrawn, so you will not receive a grade
    • “W” (withdrawal) will be noted on your transcript
    • You may receive a partial refund or no refund, depending on when the form is submitted.

The Office of Graduate Studies will notify all necessary parties that you are withdrawing, but you may also need to contact other departments.

  • International Students are required to contact the Office of International Studies  mcramer@mines.edu
  • Financial Aid: Student receiving or who have received financial aid are required to contact the Office of Financial Aid
  • Student Contracts: Students who are on a Mines contract must contact Financial Aid, your department and payroll.
  • Health Insurance: Students who are on the Mines health insurance must contact the Health Insurance Office.
  • Veterans: Students who are receiving veterans benefits must contact the Registrar’s Office
  • Student Housing:  Students living in Mines housing only must contact Residence Life housing@mines.edu
  • Library: Students must return all library materials. Questions may be directed to: libcirc@mines.edu
  • Bursar’s Office: Students must pay off any balance due. Questions may be directed to: bursar@mines.edu
  • Key Shop: Students who have Mines key must return them before leaving campus. Questions may be directed to: bdickman@mines.edu