General FAQ

New Student Orientation

The Office of Graduate studies, New Student Orientation is mandatory. You will receive important and timely information regarding your time here at CSM. Be sure to watch your email account for notices on the time and location of this important information session.

New Student Orientation Details:

The Office will provide you with orientation information, explain CSM procedures and practices, and answer any questions you may have. Refreshments will be served, and you will have an opportunity to meet other new and continuing graduate students. In addition to the Graduate Office Orientation, Departments and Programs often sponsor their own orientation events for new students. Please check with your Department or Program for more information on these activities.

A second mandatory orientation program will be provided for international students by the International Student & Scholar Services Office. Be sure to watch your email account for notices regarding this event.

Enrollment Form - New Students

If you have not done so already, you will need to submit your enrollment form before continuing. To submit your enrollment form; log in to your online application at and click on the Decision link located at the bottom of the page. Click on the Enrollment Form link in the decision letter (you may need to right-click and open in another window, for some browsers). Please allow 2-4 business days for your decision to be processed and your Account Claim information to be added to your decision letter. Your decision will not be processed if you are missing:

– Residency Paperwork (only for those claiming Colorado Residency)
– the Financial Statement of Support (International Applicants only) the deadline is November 1st

Account Claim - New Students

If you did not already claim your account, you will need to follow the instructions at the bottom of your decision letter, in order to do so. If you claimed your account after your application was sent for review, you will not need to do so again.  Further access will be added to your account 2-4 business days after you submit your enrollment form. If you have questions regarding Account Claim you can submit a Support Request to the Mines Help Center* and/or visit the Computing Center Front Desk, CTLM Bldg Room CT156A, (303) 273-3431. Your CWID, required for the Account Claim process, is found in your Admissions Letter.

*A Mines email account is required once you complete the Account Claim process and will be used for all official correspondence.

Official Documents - New Students

If you have not already submitted official transcripts from previous College\University, you will need to do so right away.

  • Transcripts must come directly from the College\University in a sealed envelope in order to be official
  • Transcripts with pending grades are not official
  • International transcripts must be translated and include the diploma to be considered official.
  • Please have them mailed directly from the College or University to: Graduate Admissions Starzer Welcome Center  – 1812 Illinois St. Golden, Colorado 80401 or e-mail to

If you have not already had Official GRE, GMAT, TOEFL or IELTS (only those required for your application) scores sent, we will need those as well. Please use code 4073 for the GRE and TOEFL. Official test scores are required BEFORE you will be permitted to register.


How do I register as a new students?
All students are required to confirm their attendance.
Your Enrollment Form (linked in your official electronic decision letter within the application system) must be submitted and you must have completed the Account Claim process before you can set up your Trailhead account and register for classes (Trailhead is the CSM student system which allows you to register for classes, view your transcript, set up your email account, etc.).
Where’s the course catalog?
The Graduate Catalog contains descriptions of graduate courses. Please see the Registrar’s Office website for the Schedule of Classes and when they’re offered for a particular semester or session, with days, times, locations, and instructors.
How do I register for classes?
See Registering for Classes information on the Registrar’s Office website.
How many credits should I register for?
See the Registration Requirements section in the Quick Reference Guide.
What courses should I take?
Consult with your advisor/department in determining what courses you should take.
What if I need to change my course registrations?
During the open enrollment period, you can manage your course choices in Trailhead. After open enrollment, the Registrar’s Office can assist with adjusting your schedule and to understand how the changes will impact your program of study. Consult the Academic Calendar for deadlines.
Can I take a semester off and not register for classes?
All CSM graduate students must have continuous registration.
Students who wish to take a semester off (fall or spring) must submit a Leave of Absence form. Students who do not submit the leave paperwork and do not register for the fall and/or spring semesters will be inactivated.  To resume studies at CSM, inactivated students will be required to re-apply for admission and will pay a $200 re-activation fee.

If you have any problems with your Trailhead Registration, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (303) 273-3200,

International Students

Must check in at the International Student and Scholars Services Office when you arrive on campu

Must be registered for 9 credit hours (full time) if you hold a F1 or J1 visa.

Student ID (Blaster) Card

“Blaster” student ID cards can be obtained from the BlasterCard Office. The BlasterCard Office is located in the Ben Parker Student Center 1200 16th Street, Golden, CO, 80401. You must show a valid State or Federally issued photo ID to receive your Blaster Card. If you have any questions, please call (303) 273-3351 for more details.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fee payments are due on the first business day following Census Day. There is a 5 business day grace period for payment. Therefore, any payment not received by the close of business on the last day of the grace period will be assessed a late fee.

Billing and Payment Process

How do I pay for my courses?
Consult Student Accounts for information on billing and payment processes.

Colorado Residency and Tuition Classification

How can I become a resident of Colorado?
To see if you might qualify for residency for tuition purposes, see the In State Tuition Classification section of the Catalog. If you wish to apply, submit the petition form and supporting materials to the Registrar’s Office.

Non-Resident (U.S. citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents) students wishing to Petition for Colorado Residency should begin to show intent to become a resident prior to the first day of classes. Students must reside in the state for at least 12 months to be eligible. Your Petition for Colorado Residency must be completed before the first day of classes for which you are requesting in-state residency status. All petitions for in-state status are handled by the Registrar. Please download the Residency and Tuition Classification Guidelines form .

Active duty military students stationed in Colorado can receive Colorado resident tuition rates by completing a Military Tuition Classification form . This form should be completed by your Base Education Services Officer and returned to our Registrar’s Office. You can review more information on our Veterans Services Page.

Students in approved programs who are residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming are eligible to receive in-state tuition classification. You can find which programs participate in the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) or WICHE which promotes the sharing of higher education resources through the link provided.

Mines Undergraduates that are attending as Non-Resident will need to Petition for Colorado Residency  in order to change your residency status.

Health Information and Requirements

Colorado state law requires all freshmen, transfer, graduate and international students to provide proof of two doses each of Measles, Mumps and Rubella (or MMR) vaccinations.  Both doses must be given after the student’s first birthday.  Each student must also complete the Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire.  All required information must be entered into the Health Portal prior to the deadline.  Detailed information is available at

If you have previously sent in your immunizations, please contact Denise Perizzolo at (303) 273-3381 to verify that they are still on file.

Financial Assistantships/Employment and Financial Aid

If you have been awarded an assistantship or fellowship by your academic department, you will need to contact your department and complete the contract outlining the components of your award. In addition to the contract, you must also complete additional paperwork before you can start working on campus. This information can be found on the Human Resources (HR) page under New Employee Information.

It is the policy of Colorado School of Mines to conduct background investigations as a condition of Employment or Appointment. You must turn in (at no cost to you) the Background Investigation Disclosure and Authorization Form after reviewing the Summary of Your Rights documents that we are required to provide you as part of the background screening process. All questions related to the actual award amounts and work assignments must be directed to your academic department or Human Resources.

For those students wishing to obtain student loans, information is available from the Financial Aid website.

How much is tuition?
See Tuition and Fee schedule for general information or Student Accounts for detailed listings of fees and rates.What financial assistance is available?

  • Most funding is limited to full-time, degree-seeking students and is awarded by individual departments. Contact your intended academic department to inquire about available assistantships and fellowships and whether additional steps are required for funding consideration.
  • Contact the Financial Aid office for information about financial aid, such as student loans.

The Apartments at Mines Park house undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students. Single student housing is available in 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments. Family housing is available in 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. Please note that the sign-up process for Mines Park happens in early March. There is a high demand for apartments, so housing is not guaranteed.

Please reach out to the Department of Residence Life for additional information on Mines Park, including the sign-up process, via email ( or via phone (303.869.5433).
Additionally, Golden and the surrounding communities offer several affordable housing options. Close communities include Lakewood, Arvada, Denver, Boulder, and Littleton.

Please review the Residence Life Off-Campus Housing Resources page for additional information.

Program Information
What programs do you offer?
Search for a particular degrees, minors and certificates in our programs offered list.
What programs are offered online?
Coming soon….
Can I have program materials mailed to me?
All materials available from the Office of Graduate Studies are available online. Contact your academic department to request program-specific materials.
How do I transfer credits from another university?
For transfer credit information, refer to the Quick Reference Guide section: Degree Requirements-Transfer Credits (How To)
What courses will transfer into my program?
Transfer Credit Information
How do I transfer credits from another university and what courses will transfer into my program?
For transfer credit information, refer to the Quick Reference Guide section: Degree Requirements-Transfer Credits (How To)
Combined Students
Where can I get more information about the Combined Program?
-For Questions about Combined Admissions, refer Combined Undergraduate (BS) and Graduate (MS or Ph.D.) Degree Programs page  or email 
-For questions about Combined Registration, refer to the Registration Requirements for Combined Students page  or email
-Visit the Office of Graduate Studies 
-Talk to your advisor or department administrator/program manager
Advisor and Committee Information
Who is my advisor?
When admitted an advisor is assigned to you. Please see your acceptance letter. Otherwise contact your department.
How can I change advisors?
The Advisor/Thesis Committee Request Form initiates a request from a student to appoint, or change, their Advisor.
How can I change or add committee members?
The Advisor/Thesis Committee Request Form initiates a request from a student to appoint, or change, their Thesis Committee.
Degree Completion
What forms do I need to complete my degree?
Please see the Step to Graduation for forms with directions and deadlines.
How do I change a degree, add a degree or withdraw from a degree?
Refer to the Changing Degrees Chart
How do I obtain my Colorado School of Mines transcripts?
See Ordering Transcripts.
When can I graduate?
To graduate, you must submit all applicable forms and apply to graduate in Trailhead by the posted deadlines. To view the required forms, please refer to the Step-by-Step Guide For Graduate Students. You may apply to graduate in May, August or December, however, commencement ceremonies are held in May, and December each year.
When is Commencement?
See the Commencement Schedule for all information related to the ceremony including dates, times, ordering regalia, etc.