Inviting Spouse and/or Children To The U.S. (Students)

Inviting Spouse and/or Children to the US (Students)

This webpage contains everything you need to have ISSS prepare a new I-20 or DS-2019 to allow your dependents to come in F-2 or J-2 status.

What is a dependent?

Definition of “Dependents” – Please note that as of August 2013, federal laws permit a dependent I-20 or DS-2019 to be issued for same-sex spouses. Children must be under 21 and unmarried. Girlfriends/boyfriends, fiancées, or common-law (i.e. unmarried) living arrangements are currently not recognized by U.S. government agencies as being eligible for F-2 or J-2 dependent status. If you fall into one of these situations, please consult an ISSS adviser.

Many international students want their families to join them in the U.S. Before they arrive, we encourage you to think about their adjustment to living here and how your life will change after they join you. Listed below are some issues to think about, do some research on, and talk with your spouse and children about before they arrive. Planning for their arrival will make things easier for everyone.


In order for ISSS to issue an immigration document for your dependent(s), you will need to provide documentation to ISSS that you can cover minimal living costs for your spouse and children. You will also need to demonstrate that you can pay for health insurance for your dependent(s). You must also consider other expenses:

  • medical costs and medication not covered by health insurance
  • car expenses
  • daycare/baby-sitting or extra-curricular activities for your child(ren)
  • winter clothing for your family members

It is essential to have adequate funds for your family. Mines requires the following to issue a F-2 I-20 or J-2 DS2019:

Dependent Proof of Funding
Spouse $5,500
Per Child $3,500


Dependents in F-2 status are not allowed to work in the U.S. J-2 dependents may apply for work authorization from the U.S. government; however, the process, if approved, takes several months and there is an application fee of several hundred dollars.

Visa Issuance

ISSS will issue a form I-20 (F-1 students) or a form DS-2019 (J-1 students) for you to send to your family member in your home country. Your family member will use that form to apply for a dependent visa (either F-2 or J-2, depending on your immigration status). It is important that you include additional documents with the I-20 or DS-2019. These additional documents include:

Financial support information – send one or both as appropriate:

  • a bank statement, issued within the last month, verifying the amount of money you have in your account(s).
  • if you have a graduate assistantship, a letter from your academic department verifying the amount of your income.  Make sure the letter specifically mentions how much you are receiving for the Tuition Scholarship, otherwise the visa officer will not include it.
  • a certified English translation of an official marriage certificate (for spouses) or evidence of family relationship (for children) such as birth certificates or adoption papers.
  • a copy of your most recent Mines transcript
  • a Verification Letter stating you are currently enrolled full-time for the current fall or spring semester
  • photocopies of your I-94, passport, and visa pages
  • Application to obtain a New dependent I20

Additionally, please be sure to review guidance from the U.S. consulate to which your dependent will apply for the visa. The two most common reasons visas are denied are (1) lack of adequate financial support – the consul does not believe the required funds are really available and (2) “immigrant intent”–failure by family members to convince the consul that they and the family member who is already in the U.S. will really return home after their stay in the U.S.  Please see an adviser if you have any questions or concerns about these obstacles to getting a visa.

Health Insurance

It is essential to have health insurance for your family. In fact, for persons in J-2 status, it is legally required. Only one accident, serious illness, or pregnancy can cause financial devastation. Dependents can be added to your University policy within 30 days of arrival in the United States. After that date, you can add them only at the beginning of each semester.


Children under the age of 10 or 11 should not be left alone. In the U.S., leaving small children unattended can be considered child neglect/abuse and is a crime. Information about daycare and pre-schools and other related family care issues is available from Family Services.



Children who are five years old by October 1 will need to be enrolled in school. It is important to find out which school your child will attend (this usually depends on the location of the place where you live), whether that school offers English-as-a-Second-Language instruction, and what educational documents are required for enrollment.

Attending universities/colleges in the U.S.

If your dependent wishes to become a student at the Colorado School of Mines or any other college or university, please discuss this with an ISSS advisor to see what the best course of action may be.

  • J-2 status – currently there is no regulatory restriction on study for J-2 dependents, and they may study full-time or part-time as desired.
  • F-2 status – restrictions exist for an F-2 who wishes to study at a college or university:
    • Less than full-time study: Below 12 credits for undergrads or 9 credits for graduate students.  Study less than full-time is permitted for coursework that may contribute to or lead to a degree.
    • Full-time study: 12 credits or more for undergraduate coursework or 9 credits or more for graduate level coursework.  Permitted if the courses are “avocational or recreational,” meaning on a casual basis and not contributing to or leading to a degree.  It also includes study in online courses.
    • Full-time study in a degree program:  The F-2  must first change to F-1 status.  Note of caution:  If your spouse has already sent in applications to be admitted to any school in the U.S. and/or hopes to change to an F-1 student soon after entering the U.S. in F-2 status, we strongly discourage him/her from obtaining an F-2 visa and entering in F-2 status.
    • An F-2 who violates any of the above restrictions risks losing legal status.


Colorado requires certain immunizations as a condition of enrollment in any licensed daycare center, pre-school, or school. If possible, provide a Certificate of Immunizations card for your family members to complete and bring with them.

Cultural Adjustment

Many spouses experience difficulty adjusting to life in the United States, especially if they do not speak English well. It is stressful for them to carry out daily activities, assist their children with schoolwork, and make friends. You may need to spend a lot of time at the beginning helping your spouse do things he or she normally did at home. Your children will also need your assistance with their schoolwork.

During this time, your spouse may become depressed and isolated if you are frequently away from home studying and working. In order to assist in his/her adjustment, you may need to help your spouse learn English and meet other people. There are opportunities for formal and informal English instruction in the Golden area. Some activities your spouse can consider include joining the International Women’s Club, helping at your children’ s daycare or school, participating in sports, and volunteering with local organizations.

Suggestions for your spouse from other foreign spouses

  • Practice English every day, beginning while in your home country if possible
  • Learn to drive a car, preferably in your home country first, if feasible
  • Bring some household and children’s items with you