J-1 Scholar

Mines hosts more than 100 J-1 scholars annually, who come to the university for research, teaching, observation, and other professional activities.

Faculty and research professionals who wish to pursue eligibility for longer term temporary worker immigration status should contact Humans Resources which processes applications for temporary H-1B, O-1 and TN immigration statuses as well as permanent residence for faculty and professional employees.

 Maintaining Status – J-1 Scholars

J-1 Regulations Overview Address Update Requirement
Health Insurance
Two-Year Home Country Physical Presence Requirement – 212(e) 12-Month and 24-Month Bars for Research Scholars and Professors
 J Scholar Program Extension Form   Change of Status

Travel – J-1 Scholars

Travel Information Travel with a U.S. Citizen Child
SEVIS Fee Information Visa Renewal Information

Employment, Taxes and Social Security – J-1 Scholars

Employment Options Volunteering
Tax Information Social Security & ITIN
Permanent Residency H-1B Information

Family and Friends – J-1 Scholars

Inviting Spouse and/or Children to the U.S.
 J-2 Employment
 Inviting Relatives and Friends to the U.S.

Academic & Cultural Resources

Make Connections
Cultural Adjustment
Guide to Living in Colorado