The J-1 scholar visa category was designed to enhance cultural and educational exchange between scholars in the US and abroad. Mines sponsors over 100 J-1 visiting scholars each year, who engage in a variety of activities across campus including teaching, research, presentations and cultural activities.

Mines departments typically sponsor foreign, permanent faculty members for H-1B status. The H-1B visa category is a temporary period of employment for an individual engaged in a specialty occupation with bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field. For assistance with H-1B applications, department may contact Mines Legal Services.