Insurance Requirements Of All J-1 Exchange Visitors

All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their spouses and children who are in the US as J-2 Exchange Visitors must maintain health insurance for the duration of their stay in the US. The Department of State has issued strict requirements for J1 and J2 insurance policies to meet.  These requirements are noted below:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Coverage for repatriation of remains in the amount of at least $25,000
  • Coverage for expenses related to emergency medical evacuation of the J-1 or J-2 to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

The Exchange Visitor is responsible for obtaining an insurance policy that meets these requirements prior to beginning their J-1 program activities.  Visitors in J status are strongly encouraged to enter the US with the appropriate insurance.  Failure to comply with this insurance requirement could result in the loss of legal immigration status. The policy must be maintained for the duration of the J-1 program. If a J-1 extends his/her program beyond the initial program end date, they are required to extend the insurance policy for themselves and any spouses or children, if applicable.

J-1s with remunerated appointments may be eligible for employee insurance. Contact the Human Resources department about your eligiblity. PLEASE NOTE:  The insurance offered by School of Mines does not cover emergency medical evacuation or repatriation of remains. If you are eligible for insurance offered by School of Mines, please note that as a J-1 you will need to purchase an additional policy that provides medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.

J-1s with non-remunerated appointments are not eligible for any insurance benefits offered by Colorado School of Mines. J-1s on non-reumerated appointments will be required to purchase a policy that provides the minimum benefits listed above for themselves and any J2 family members.

J-1 Exchange Visitors are not required to have policies that adhere to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) unless they have been in the US for 5 or more consecutive years.  This would generally apply to those who have obtained a Change of Status to J-1 after having a previous status for several years.

Options for J-1 insurance

The websites listed below provide a variety of insurance companies with policies that meet the requirements for J-1/J-2 Exchange Visitors.  Please note, none of these policies are endorsed by Colorado School of Mines; however, the policies do meet the requirements.