- Eligibility for Academic Training
- Time Limits for Academic Training
- Academic Training Application Instructions
What is Academic Training?
Academic Training authorizes a J-1 student to accept employment or participate in training opportunities, such as an internship or practicum, directly related to his or her major field of study. Academic Training may be authorized for paid employment or unpaid training. Note: While students may work for more than one employer while on Academic Training, each employer and Academic Training segment must be approved separately.
- You must have a valid, unexpired DS-2019;
- You must be in good academic standing at the Colorado School of Mines;
- Your primary purpose in the U.S. must be to study rather than to engage in Academic Training;
- Your employment or training must be directly related to your major field of study and an integral part of your academic program;
- You must receive an updated DS-2019 and written approval from ISSS before beginning the employment or training;
- You must maintain health insurance coverage as required by J-1 regulations. For more information about the Health Insurance requirement, please the U.S. Department of State website.
Note: If you have J-1 program sponsor other than Colorado School of Mines (as indicated in section two on your DS-2019), you must seek authorization for Academic Training from your program sponsor.
Pre-completion Academic Training
- Academic Training may be authorized during your program of study. You must maintain full-time enrollment (12 credit for undergraduates or 9 credits for graduate students). Note: concurrent enrollment at other schools is not permitted while on Academic Training.
- Pre-completion Academic Training is normally part-time but may be full-time under certain conditions. Please discuss your plans with an ISSS advisor.
Post-completion Academic Training
- Post-completion Academic Training must be authorized prior to the date on which you complete your program of study and/or before your DS-2019 expires, whichever comes first.
- For post-completion Academic Training, employment must begin no later than 30 days after completion of studies. Note: Your authorized period of academic training will begin on the day after you complete your studies, whether or not you begin working on this day.
- Students participating in post-completion Academic Training must provide evidence of adequate funding for living expenses and health insurance during the training period. Note: Students must also provide proof of health insurance coverage.
|If your program was…||You are eligible for..|
|One semester or less||You may be eligible for up to four (4) months. See an ISSS advisor for additional information.|
|One full academic year||You may be eligible for up to nine (9) months. See an ISSS advisor for additional information.|
|Undergraduate Degree or Master’s Degree or Professional Degree||Maximum of eighteen (18) months, or the period of full course of study in the U.S., whichever is less.|
|Doctoral degree||Maximum of thirty-six (36) months, or the period of full course of study in the U.S., whichever is less.|
- The total number of months of Academic Training may not exceed the total number of months of study, unless the Academic Training is required to fulfill degree requirements. Note: Non-degree J-1 students should meet with an ISSS advisor to discuss eligibility and time limits.
- Academic Training done prior to the completion of your program of study will reduce the number of months of Academic Training available after you complete your program of study. For example: three months of Academic Training taken during the summer between two semesters will reduce your total amount of Academic Training by three months.
- Both part-time and full-time academic training segments count toward the total Academic Training limit.
1. Obtain a job offer letter from your employer. The job offer letter must be on letterhead and include all of the following information:
Description of employment
Location and address of employment
Salary, if any
Number of hours to be worked per week
Name, email address and phone number of your supervisor
2. Pre-completion Academic Training:
3. Pre-completion Academic Training:
4. Complete the Academic Training Application: