General Information

One of the most common questions about studying abroad is how do I get my courses to transfer back to Mines? You’ve come to the right place!


Each student who studies abroad is required to complete a Prior Approval Form. The form is the student’s guarantee that if the course is completed successfully, and the student earns a grade equivalent or better than a Mines grade of “C”, he or she will earn credit for the Mines course that has been approved.

Some universities have pre-approved classes already listed, and we are working on making this a reality for all of our partner universities. Check in the office to see if the university you are interested in has a pre-aproved course list!

The prior approval form is part of the second step of the online application process, after the initial deadline. You can download the form online and take it to the Registrar’s office with a signature. More detailed instructions are in the application itself.

Looking for the Excel sheet? We have decided to remove this resource because it was becoming too outdated. Please check your host universities website for the latest list of classes they offer.



Forms can be found on your Terradotta application, in person at the OIP, or you can download a form here: 

OIP Prior Approval Form 2019


At this point you should have identified the university in which you will be attending. A link to your host university’s study abroad homepage can be found at the bottom of the host university’s TerraDotta brochure page.


When you have completed your form and attached appropriate course descriptions and syllabi, please bring the form to the international office.



Mines International Office
924 16th Street
Green Center, Suite 219
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401

Office Hours
Monday through Friday, 9:00 - 11:30 and 1:30 - 4:00

David Wright, Assistant Provost for International Affairs
(303) 384-2120 /

Mary Cook, Director and Manager of Student Mobility-Outbound/Inbound
(303) 384-2121 /

Main Office Phone and Email
(303) 273-3210 /