Travel Authorization (TA)

The travelling student must complete the online TA Travel Registration.  

Required TA Travel Registration Parts:

  • General Student and Emergency Contact Information
  • Proof of insurance coverage abroad- Enrollment instructions for CISI Travel Insurance can be found in the form
    • Purchase of CISI Travel Insurance is required for all Mines students travelling internationally
    • All faculty traveling with students are also required to purchase CISI Travel Insurance
  • Signature agreement to International Office and Mines policies


Title IX Information
For Title IX information and reporting please visit

Device Safety Information
For information and advice on keeping your devices and data safe while traveling click here.

United States Department of State – Smart Traveler Tips:

  1. Apply early for your passport.  If you already have one, make sure it is valid at least 6 months after you travel.
  2. Safeguard your passport.  While overseas, carry copies of your passport ID page and foreign visa with you at all times.
  3. If your passport is lost or stolen, report it immediately to the nearest embassy or consulate, or at 1-877-487-2778.
  4. Learn about travel regulations, local laws, and customs for your destination at
  5. Receive travel and safety updates while abroad by enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at

United States State Department Contact Information

  • In case of an emergency, call the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or call:
    • From US: 1-888-407-4747
    • From Overseas: +1-202-501-4444
  • For the most up-to-date website information:

Q: What if I travel internationally more than once?  Do I have to fill out the TA Application again?

A: Yes, since we have moved to an online TA system, the application itself has become faster, but it unfortunately requires that applicants fill out the form before every international trip. In addition, CISI insurance only covers you for the time while you are abroad, not the entire year. You will need to purchase CISI insurance for everytime you travel, if you do not have SHIP (Mines health insurance). 

Q: I am a Postdoc or Faculty Member, do I need to fill out a TA Application?

A: No.  If you are a postdoc or faculty member traveling alone, the International Office does not need to sign off on your TA form; therefore, you do not need to fill out a TA Application.  However, you are welcome to come into our office and we can advise you about your upcoming international travel.  Do be aware that if you are receiving funding with a student group, the students in the group will need to fill out the TA paperwork.

Q: I am graduate student doing research abroad.  Do I need to go through the TA Process?

A: Maybe.  There are multiple paths for graduate students to go abroad for research.  Contact the graduate office to hear about your options.



Mines International Office
924 16th Street
Green Center, Suite 219
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401

Office Hours
Monday through Friday, 9:00 - 11:30 and 1:30 - 4:00

David Wright, Assistant Provost for International Affairs
(303) 384-2120 /

Mary Cook, Director and Manager of Student Mobility-Outbound/Inbound
(303) 384-2121 /

Main Office Phone and Email
(303) 273-3210 /