MINES’ POLICY LIBRARY
Policies and Procedures by Subject
Financial Policies Chapter 9: Payroll
CHAPTER 9: PAYROLL
Policy 9-1 DIRECT DEPOSIT
All Employees shall have their payroll direct-deposited to their bank via ACH (Automated Clearing House) payments unless an exception is approved by the Controller.
Policy 9-2 OVERPAYMENTS TO EMPLOYEES
Through error, an Employee may be paid more than is due. When the error is detected, provisions shall be made for the repayment of the overpayment.
If the overpayment is nominal, the overpayment shall be deducted from the Employee’s next paycheck. However, in some cases the overpayment may be significant and require a repayment schedule extending over a period of time. The Controller shall establish a repayment schedule based on the particular facts involved in each case.
An Employee’s maximum liability for repayment, should an error go undetected for longer than a two year period, shall be limited to the total amount of the overpayment for the first two years in which the Employee was overpaid.
It is the Employee’s responsibility to review their payroll notification each month and contact the Payroll Manager in the Controller’s Office if discrepancies, either overpayment or underpayment, exist.
Policy 9-3 FINAL PAY FOR A TERMINATING EMPLOYEE
Final pay shall be available to terminating Employees as follows:
- When an Employee terminates employment, with or without giving notice, final payment shall be made no later than their next regular payday.
- When the University terminates an Employee, final payment shall be made within three (3) working days of the date of termination.
Policy 9-4 PROPER TIMESHEET REPORTING
All hourly paid Employees are required to complete a timesheet for each pay period using the University’s timekeeping system. If an Employee has an active job but did not work any hours during the pay period, the Employee is required to submit a “zero hour” timesheet. The Employee’s supervisor shall review and approve the timesheet each month. All timesheets shall be completed and approved in accordance with procedures issued by the Controller’s Office.
All salaried non-exempt Employees are required to complete and sign a timesheet certifying the hours worked each month. The signed timesheet shall be approved and signed by the Employee’s direct supervisor or authorized delegate. The Employee’s department is required to keep the approved timesheet for three (3) years.
The format of the timesheet is not prescribed, but at a minimum will contain the following information:
- Employee name and CWID;
- Employee’s regular working hours and length of lunch break;
- Regular and overtime hours worked each regular workday and weekend, if applicable;
- A total for the hours worked each week and for the month;
- A statement that overtime hours are earned after 40 hours of regular work, not including Holidays, Leave, or Compensatory time taken;
- Number of compensatory hours earned each week, compensatory hours used during the month and the cumulative unused compensatory hours;
- Employee signature and date completed;
- The following certification statement below the Employee’s signature – I affirm that the hours reported are true and include all the hours worked for the indicated period; and
- Supervisor’s signature and date approved.