Challenge Exams are by invitation only and students who qualify will be sent an invitation through their Mines email account by the respective academic department offering the exam opportunity.
Eligibility and Information
- Generally determined by achieving a specific score on an AP or IB exam
- Students must be in their first two semesters at Mines
- Not every foundational course may have a challenge exam
- Exams cannot be given to receive credit for upper-division courses
- Challenge exams are offered and managed fully by academic departments
The following will disqualify a student from taking a challenge exam:
- Denying AP or IB credit and attempting to take a challenge exam to receive credit
- Attempting to take a challenge exam to receive credit for a course for which credit has already been awarded
- Continuing students who are in their third or later semester
Additional information is located in the catalog. Questions regarding challenge exams should be directed to the respective academic department.
Student Center, Suite E280
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8 am-5 pm