Military Credit Information (JST & DD214)

Military Credit Information (JST & DD214)

Military Credit (JST & DD214)


Mines offers a comprehensive review of previous military coursework and/or experience in an effort to support the exemplary service of our nation’s military and veteran student population.

We have established a review of this coursework and experience in an effort to provide you with the maximum amount of credit for your previous education and training.  Credit accepted in transfer may not duplicate coursework previously taken.  Military service credit is evaluated when official copies of transcripts from military schools are received and are evaluated according to the American Council on Education (ACE) Guidelines.  Please be aware that the credit recommended by ACE does not guarantee the awarding of credit for that course or experience.

  • Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and Marine personnel should submit a Joint Services Transcript.  To order a Joint Services transcript, visit the JST site.
  • Air Force personnel should submit a Community College of the Air Force transcript.  To order a CCAF transcript, visit the Air University site.

 General credit may be granted for:

  • EDNS 151:  Veterans ranked E4 or higher and who have a minimum of three years of active duty service will receive credit for EDNS 151 by submitting their DD214.  Veterans who do not meet this requirement may still receive EDNS 151 credit, but will need to apply individually.  Please visit the Cornerstone Design site for details.  (It is recommended that Mechanical Engineering majors take the one-credit hour EDNS157 (SolidWorks) and Civil and Environmental Engineering majors take the one-credit hour EDNS156 (AutoCAD) to better prepare for discipline-specific coursework if getting exemption from EDNS151.)
  • EDNS 251:  Those seeking academic credit for EDSN251 should visit the Cornerstone Design site for details.  Your application will be assessed based on how well your military experience meets the learning objectives of each course; you must apply for each course separately.
  • PAGN:  Up to 2 credits may be awarded, including the waiving of the four semester requirement for Physical Education
  • HASS mid-level:  Up to 6 credit-hours may be awarded for foreign language courses taken through the State Department, Department of Defense or Defense Language Institute that are assigned credit based on ACE’s recommendation.
  • HASS mid-level:  Up to 3 credits may be awarded for ROTC participants who complete Military History.
  • Free Electives:  Up to 6 credits may be awarded for specific courses.
  • Additional military credit is not evaluated for specific course equivalencies for required courses in the degree, but may be used by your Colorado School of Mines academic department for degree requirements.

Contact Us

Registrar's Office
Student Center, Suite E280
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401

Registration or student record questions
FAX: 303-384-2253

Residency petition & COF questions

Transfer credit questions

Military and VA Benefit related questions

Graduation questions