Immunization Requirements

Mandatory Immunization Requirements for Colorado School of Mines Students


  • Fall Semester Deadline – June 15
  • Spring Semester Deadline – December 15

ALL incoming students MUST submit the following required immunization information through the Mines Health Portal by the above deadlines.

To expedite your registration, please submit this information on the Mines Health Portal, which is accessed via Click Patient Portal Instructions to view detailed directions on using the portal. If you are an incoming student, be sure to claim your Mines account first before accessing the Health Portal.

Required Information

  • MMR-Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccineTwo doses are required by the State of Colorado for all students born after 1/1/1957.  The first dose must be given no earlier than 4 days before the 1st birthday with at least 28 days between the two vaccines.  Full dates of immunizations (month/day/year) are required and the document you upload should be in English. Please check with your state immunization registry, physician, high school, previous university, county office, and/or military to obtain an official copy of your records.  You may provide a blood titer indicating proof of your immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella.  Medical and nonmedical exemptions are allowed by law; however, in the event of an outbreak, exempted persons may be subject to quarantine and exclusion from school.
  • Upload supporting documents:  We must verify your immunizations/test results.  Any undocumented immunizations will be removed from your vaccine record.
  • Tuberculosis Questionnaire: Please complete this required form on the Patient Health Portal. (Forms tab)  If testing is indicated, please upload results.
  • If living on campus: Proof of a Meningococcal ACWY vaccine (for example: Menactra, MCV4, Menveo) given within the last 5 years must be documented on your immunization record.  If this time period will expire while living on campus, you may choose to receive a booster from your physician or the Student Health Center. Students living on campus will have a hold placed on their account 5 years after the date of the most recent Meningitis ACWY vaccine. Currently, Meningitis ACWY is required, Meningitis B is recommended.  A waiver of this requirement is accepted by completing and uploading the Meningococcal Disease Information and Vaccine Waiver Form.
  • If under age 18 – Consent to Treat: Parent/Guardian, please complete this form so that we may treat your student in the event of illness or injury if they are under age 18 as of the first day of class.

We communicate by secure email to your Mines account.  Please watch for important messages and respond promptly.  You may also access these messages through the Health Portal.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do Student Athletes need to submit these forms?

Yes!  Student athletes participating in NCAA athletics must provide these forms to the Health Center through the Health Portal in addition to meeting the requirements of the CSM Athletics Department.  Athletics does not forward this information to the Health Center.

How should the forms be completed if the student is younger than 18 years of age?

All required forms will need to be signed by the parent/guardian.  Please also have a parent or guardian sign at the bottom of the “consent to treat”. Until this is signed (or the student turns 18), the student will be unable to receive treatment from the Health Center.  

What if I can’t provide proof of MMR immunization, even though I’ve had the vaccines?

Contact previous schools, your county offices, your state immunization registry, the military or previous health care providers to obtain immunization records. If proof of immunization cannot be obtained, there are two options: you may choose to obtain a blood titer to prove immunity to all three diseases (measles, mumps and rubella) or you may choose to receive both vaccines again.

What if I’ve never had an MMR vaccine, or if one was received before my first birthday?

You will need two valid MMR doses, the first dose received no earlier than 4 days before your first birthday and at least 28 days between doses. If you are an enrolled and eligible student, MMRs are available at the Health Center.  Due to the recent Measles outbreak, it is highly recommended that you receive at least one MMR prior to your arrival at school.

What if I miss the deadline for form submission?

A hold may be placed on the student’s Trailhead account if forms are not submitted by the due date.  With a hold, students will be unable to register, add or drop classes or pull a transcript.

Where is the form for a medical or nonmedical exemption from the MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccine?

In order to be compliant with the school immunization law, if you choose to waive the MMR requirement for any nonmedical reason, you will need to upload to the Mines Health Portal a “Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption” from either Option 1 or Option 2 below. In the CDPHE website, choose the appropriate form or Online Immunization Education Module.

  • Option 1.  A “Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption” can be downloaded from CDPHE’s (Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment) Vaccine Exemption page. The document can be completed by the parent or student (if 18 years of age or older) and signed by their immunizing Colorado health care provider. We cannot accept this form if it is signed by an out of state provider.  This signed document is then uploaded to the Mines Health Portal.  To access the Vaccine Exemption page, please go to
  • Option 2.  The Online Immunization Education Module, accessed on the Vaccine Exemption page, is to be reviewed (see link above).  When the viewing is completed, the parent or student (if 18 years of age or older) will enter into a fillable document which, when printed, will produce a Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption.  The Certificate will populate the name, date and time that this process was completed and will not require a signature from an immunizing health care provider.  This Certificate is then uploaded to the Mines Health Portal and, like option #1 will meet the exemption requirement.    * As a college student, you may complete the form and upload to the Health Portal.  We do NOT pull records from CIIS, so it is important that you upload the certificate to the Health Portal.

If you have a Medical reason for a MMR exemption, you will need to complete a Colorado certificate of Medical exemption and have it signed by a health care provider licensed to practice in any state or territory in the U.S.   The form is available through the Colorado Department of Health & Environment:   Please upload the signed certificate to the Health Portal.

* You can file a certificate of medical exemption with the CDPHE to include in the Colorado Immunization Information System (CIIS). However, you must also upload this signed certificate to the Mines Health Portal.

*Per Colorado Revised Statutes 25-4-2403(2.5), immunizing providers must submit medical exemption data to CIIS.

When uploading either document to the Health Portal, please choose “Vaccine Waiver Form” as your upload choice.

What if I have a more specific situation than mentioned here?

Please feel free to call the Health Center at 303-273-3381 with any questions—we are more than happy to help!