Insurance – Termination Policy
Insurance - Termination Policy
Coverage terminates February 1 at 12:01 a.m. for Fall semester for Students who:
• Graduate in December
• Withdraw from the University after the fall Census Day, but complete 31 days of classes
• Are academically suspended after the fall Census Day, but complete 31 days of classes
• Otherwise, lose eligibility as describe in the Master Policy
Coverage terminates August 1 at 12:01 a.m. for Spring semester students who:
• Graduate in May or Summer
• Withdraw from the University after the spring Census Day, but complete 31 days of classes
• Are academically suspended after Spring Census Day, but complete 31 days of classes
• Otherwise, lose eligibility as described in the Master Policy
Refunds for the cost of coverage will only be made upon the entry of any Covered Person into the armed forces of any country. A prorated refund will be returned to such person upon written request.
Coverage after graduation
If you need coverage after August 1, 2019 you have several options:
1.) Coverage with an employer. If you are starting a new job that offers health insurance, check with your employer to see what you need to do and when to enroll.
2.) Coverage under parent's or spouse’s health insurance. Because your SHIP coverage ends on August 1, 2019, this can be considered a qualifying event, which may allow you to obtain coverage under your parent's health insurance if you are under age 26.
3.) Explore coverage options through a reputable online source, such as:
- a major health insurance carrier that offers Individual Health Insurance policies
- an independent insurance broker
**TO NOTE: When considering an exchange plan, specifically ask when your new health insurance coverage will start. To avoid any potential gaps in coverage if you choose a plan on connectforhealthco.com or HealthCare.gov or a private exchange, you may need to enroll by July 1, 2019 for a plan that will start on August 1, 2019.
Also, when enrolling with another health insurance company or through an exchange, you may be asked to provide documentation showing when prior health insurance coverage ended. Contact Commercial Travelers at 800.780.7879 for a “certificate of coverage”. This will show the effective dates for the 2018-19 policy year for the SHIP. Commercial Travelers will email or mail you this form. Please call to request a certificate of coverage (also known as a notice of termination) to use with another health insurance carrier.
As you plan ahead to ensure you have coverage after August 1, 2019, before you buy any plan, carefully review the medical and prescription drug benefits offered, the list or network of providers you can go to, and how much you should expect to pay out of your pocket in the form of deductibles, copays, or coinsurance.
If you have any questions, please contact our office by email at email@example.com, by phone at 303.273.3388, or in person in Room 207 of the Wellness Center at 1770 Elm Street, Golden CO 80401.