Does your Health Plan Measure Up?
Does your health plan measure up to qualify for a waiver?
To determine if your current plan qualifies to waive enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan, your plan must meet each of the following coverage requirements:
- has a maximum benefit of at least $2,000,000 (with no yearly or per condition maximum benefit that would reduce coverage);
- includes participating (in network) health care providers in the Denver metro area for both emergency and non-emergency health care services;
- includes prescription drug benefits;
- provides at least 20 outpatient visits for mental health care services and provides at least 30 days of inpatient mental health care services, including emergency psychiatric admissions;
- coverage is in effect on the first day of classes without any waiting period or pre-existing condition exclusion and will remain in effect for the academic year;
- has a total annual out of pocket of $8000 or less; and
- has coverage while traveling abroad (if current plan does not have this coverage, students must purchase additional travel insurance).
If your current plan meets Affordable Care Act guidelines, it will meet our requirements to waive. However, you will need to verify that you have in network providers in the Denver Metro area. If you are in an HMO plan in a state other than Colorado, please contact your insurance provider to see if you can get a “visitor’s card” for coverage in Colorado.
Instructions for Using the SHIP Online Enrollment/Waiver Process:
Fall Waiver Period Opens July 15, 2019 and continues to Census Day, September 4, 2019
- Login to Trailhead and click on the Self Service button.
- Click on the Student link.
- Click on the Registration link.
- Near the bottom of the list, right click on “Enroll/Waive in Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)” and choose “Open in New Tab/Window.”
- This should bypass any pop-up blocker you might have.
- The page that displays is Academic Health Plan’s Enrollment/Waiver page. Follow the instructions on the page to complete your enrollment/waiver.
- Choose the Waiver Tab
- Click the link that describes you (Domestic Undergrad, Domestic Grad, Athlete, International Undergrad, International Grad)
- Your user name is your CWID, password your Date of Birth in 8 digits
If you are ENROLLING:
- Choose the Enroll Button
- The sooner you enroll, the better! This will get your information into all systems so that your coverage will be fully active on the plan start date.
- If you choose to enroll by clicking the green button, you will be prompted to read the Terms and Conditions, and enter your initials
- If you choose to default enroll, it may be mid-September before you are fully activated in the system, which could result in delay of claims processing and prescription coverage.
If you are WAIVING:
- Choose to waive by clicking the red button, you will be prompted to attach proof of insurance
- Once your proof of insurance is uploaded, complete the Student Information Chart
- Electronically sign and click Submit Waiver. Waiver will be processed within five to seven business days. It is the student’s responsibility to follow up on their waiver status
Waivers can take 5-7 days to process, and you may be asked for additional supporting information.
You will always see the charge for the SHIP on your account, and when the waiver is processed, you will see a corresponding waiver credit.
If you encounter problems or have questions, contact the Student Health Benefits Coordinator via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall Late waivers are accepted until Friday, October 4, 2019. There is a $125 fee for late waivers.