Complete Withdrawal / Leave of Absence from Mines
Undergraduate* students looking to withdraw from all classes during a current semester, or in preparation for a future semester. must follow the steps outlined below. This process also applies to students pursuing a temporary absence, transferring to another institution, or permanent withdrawal.
The institution does not currently differentiate between a complete withdrawal and a leave of absence at the undergraduate education level. Those who leave – temporarily or permanently – may return at a future date of their choosing (see notes on returning below).
If you are currently enrolled and wish to withdrawal from some courses but remain in others, please contact your academic advisor for more information.
*Graduate Students: Please contact Graduate Academic Services as their withdrawal process is separate from that outlined above (303-273-3627 or email@example.com). For more information on withdrawal policies for graduate students, visit: inside.mines.edu/GS-Withdrawal.
Current Term Withdrawal:
- If you are currently taking classes, and wish to withdraw from ALL courses, you may initiate the withdrawal process at any point in the semester, until Noon the day before the last day of classes (Dead Day is not a class day).
- Check the Academic Calendar for these specific dates, which are semester specific.
- Complete withdrawals that occur after Census Day result in “W” grades on the academic transcript.
Future Term Withdrawal:
- Students may initiate a complete withdrawal on or prior to Census Day, resulting in no record of enrollment for the forthcoming semester. If a student wishes to withdraw on Census Day, initiation of the process outlined below must occur by 12:00 pm. Check the Academic Calendar for these specific dates, which are semester specific.
The Withdrawal Process:
- To Begin: To initiate the process, please complete the enclosed WITHDRAWAL REQUEST FORM.
- If you have questions and wish to speak with someone prior to submitting the request form, please email Colin Terry, Associate Dean of Students, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check Email: Following submission of the Withdrawal Request Form, students are asked to check their email account over the next three business days for correspondence on the required action(s).
- Examples may include but are not limited to, possible student refund or balance due, the return of library materials, and/or financial aid exit counseling.
- Medical Withdrawal: Those who request a medical withdrawal will be asked to meet – via phone or in-person – with Colin Terry, Associate Dean of Students. Colin will send a link to schedule this meeting. Students may email and request a meeting at email@example.com.
- Official documentation stating the medical ailment that is present. This should be issued by a licensed doctor or therapist and include the date when first diagnosed.
- Any other supporting documentation regarding the ailment or situation causing the request for a medical withdrawal.
Returning to Mines after Withdrawing
Students looking to return to Mines are required to complete the Returning Undergraduate Student Form following one or more semester(s) (fall or spring) of non-attendance. Please contact Undergraduate Admissions for details.