Mines Earth Day Fair
Mines Earth day Fair 2020 – Going Digital!
April 22, 2020 is the 50th anniversary of Earth Day! Even with all non-essential events being physically cancelled, you can still participate online! Let’s celebrate Earth Day together!
Winner of the Mines Solar Challenge (visit section below)
ZOOM EARTH DAY LUNCH MEETING – WIN A PRIZE!
Mines students, faculty, and staff are invited to join the Sustainability Office and Mines Green Team for a zoom lunch meeting. We will announce the winners of the Mines Solar Challenge, give brief updates on the state of sustainability at Mines, and give away an annual state park pass to one lucky attendee. Mines Assoc. Professor Tim Ohno will talk about Solar Decathlon! You must register to attend and be present during giveaway to win.
When: Wednesday, April 22 (Earth Day). 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. Mountain Time
Virtual FAIR (Pick one or do them all!)
- Take our Earth Day Survey! Help us collect data to make Mines greener than ever!
- Join the Mines People.Power.Planet Campaign to set individual sustainability goals, track your progress, earn points, and receive rewards!
- Sign up to join the Mines Green Team!
- Participate in Earth Challenge 2020
- Calculate your food carbon footprint
- Make Climate a Class
- Go vegan to save the planet
ENVIRONMENTAL Ted Talks
- Learn about Biomimicry in Action! (ENGINEERING)
- Investigate the Link Between National Security and the Environment (ENGINEERING)
- The most important thing you can do to fight climate change: talk about it (Dr. Katharine Hayhoe)
Ted Talks – Indigenous Peoples Perspective
- Indigenous knowledge can be combined with science and technology to fight climate change – Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim
- Why lakes and rivers should have the same rights as humans – Kelsey Leonard
Green Chemistry and Environmental Webinars
American Chemical Society
- How Sustainable Chemistry is Safer Chemistry (2018)
- Attend the webinar “How Chemists and Engineers Will Make a Difference for a Healthy Planet.” (APRIL 23, 2020) . You must register to attend.
TAKE AN ART, COOKING, OR YOGA CLASS
Take a Virtual Tour
Virtual Earth Day Fairs (national)
- April 21-25 – The Green Program Earth Week (April 21st has engineering session)
- April 22 Earth Day Network’s Live Earth Day Fair
- April 22 NASA is celebrating Earth Day’s 50th Anniversary!
- April 22-26 Earthx2020 Fair and Conferences (free) in partnership with National Geographic
- Learn more about the History of Earth Day
- Read about Denis Hayes, Earth Day’s 1st organizer, in the New York Times
Congratulate the Mines Solar Challenge Winners!
Mines Solar Challenge Winners:
1st Place: LiveLot Goes Solar
A parking space finder app that uses solar powered cameras in the Mines parking lots to help the Mines community find parking spaces and reduce carbon emissions. Team: Riley Miller (Lead), Connor Baker (Developer), Maddie Rogers (Developer), Zach Peterson (Project Manager), Colin Peter (Mechanical Engineer/design), Forrest Denham (Business Development/financials).
2nd Place: Our Campus Our Solar
A large solar array on the new Spruce Hall residence hall building. Team members: Joanna Bomber (Civil Engineering), Jessica Richman (Materials and Metallurgical Engineering), Jonathan Salas (Mechanical Engineering), Joe Block (Electrical Engineer), Energy Systems and Power Electronics.
3rd Place: Ultra-Thin Solar Micro Inverter for Residential Solar Panels
Design a very thin micro inverter that can be seamlessly mounted on a solar panel and allows them to be individually mounted on lighting poles, building entrances, and other places. Team members: Abdulhakeem Alsaleem.