Mines is committed to protecting the environment, health, and safety of our students, faculty, and staff and developing student leaders and innovators that will engineer a more sustainable future. Our mission is to engage, inspire, and support the campus community in sustainability initiatives by
- Integrating sustainability into campus education and research in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), which includes sustainability studies and environmental engineering, new degrees in advanced renewable energy programs in partnership with the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, sustainable policy development, and plans to create a “Campus as a Living Lab” to enhance the undergraduate and graduate student experience.
- Modeling sustainability through healthy, safe and efficient facilities and operations by ensuring our buildings meet energy, water, waste reduction and other health and safety goals through our PowerED and Environmental Health & Safety programs.
- Establishing sustainability committees, a Green Fund, and using campus sustainability reporting tools to benchmark our accomplishments and assist with finding gaps and setting future goals
- Creating a diverse and inclusive campus environment through a campus-wide diversity and inclusion campaign
- Advancing knowledge and innovations that lead to sustainable use of the Earth’s resources through academic and research partnerships with national laboratories and agencies, utilities, and city and state governments.
Our sustainability strategic planning will be guided by the Sustainability Committee, Student Green Team, and aligned with the University Mines@150 Strategic Plan. Our Sustainability Action Plan will evolve based on our sustainability reporting data and academic and research focus areas.