The teaching major and minor at Mines are designed to prepare students to enter a classroom and obtain a teaching license immediately upon graduation. They will also prepare students (including graduate students) for teaching at the college level. Topics include educational psychology, modern pedagogical techniques, classroom management, and more!
The Minor is designed to be completed in two years.
18 Credit Hours Total
SCED262 – K-12 Field Experience & Building Student Relationships (3 credits)
SCED333 – Educational Psychology and Assessment(3 credits)
SCED363 – Dynamic Teaching: Motivation, Classroom Management, and Differentiation of Instruction (3 credits)
Choose one of the following:
1) SCED415 – Scientific Practices vs. Engineering Design & the Nature of Science (3 credits)
2) MAED405 – Mathematical Practices & the Social Context of Mathematics (3 credits)
3) MAED498 – Computer Science Practices and Technological Impacts on Society (3 credits)
Choose one of the three Teaching Techniques courses:
1) MAED435 – Computer Science Teaching Techniques (3 credits)
2) MAED425 Pre-Algebra and Algebra Teaching Techniques (3 credits)
3) SCED445 Physics and Chemistry Teaching Techniques (3 credits)
SCED/MAED 464 Capstone Curriculum Design I – Practicum (3 credits)