The graduate program in Geochemistry is an interdisciplinary program with the mission to educate students whose interests lie at the intersection of the geological and chemical sciences. The Geochemistry Program consists of two subprograms, administering two MS and PhD degree tracks and one professional master’s (non-thesis) degree program. The Geochemistry (GC) degree track pertains to the history and evolution of the Earth and its features, including but not limited to the chemical evolution of the crust and mantle, geochemistry of energy and mineral resources, aqueous geochemistry and fluid-rock/fluid-mineral interactions and chemical mineralogy. The Environmental Biogeochemistry (EBGC) degree track pertains to the coupled chemical and biological processes of Earth’s biosphere, and the changes in these processes caused by human activities.
Additional program information is available at the Geochemistry website.
Doctor of Philosophy
Master of Science
- Environmental Geochemistry
- GRE scores sent by the Educational Testing Service. The average applicant GRE score is 162 quantitative, 153 verbal and 4.0 analytical.
- For international applicants or applicants whose native language is not English, a TOEFL score of 79 or higher (or 550 for the paper-based test, 213 for the computer-based test) is required. In lieu of a TOEFL score, an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher will be accepted.
- Statement of purpose and updated curriculum vitae or resume.
- Applicants must submit a minimum of three letters of recommendation and transcripts for all post-secondary degrees.
- CHGC503. INTRODUCTION TO GEOCHEMISTRY. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC504. METHODS IN GEOCHEMISTRY. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC505. INTRODUCTION TO ENVIRONMENTAL CHEMISTRY. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
Equivalent with CHGN403, CHGN403
- CHGC506. WATER ANALYSIS LABORATORY. 2.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC509. INTRODUCTION TO AQUEOUS GEOCHEMISTRY. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC511. GEOCHEMISTRY OF IGNEOUS ROCKS. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC514. GEOCHEMISTRY THERMODYNAMICS AND KINETICS. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC527. ORGANIC GEOCHEMISTRY OF FOSSIL FUELS AND ORE DEPOSITS. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC555. ENVIRONMENTAL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC562. MICROBIOLOGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC563. ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY. 2.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC564. BIOGEOCHEMISTRY AND GEOMICROBIOLOGY. 3.0 Semester Hrs.
- CHGC598. SPECIAL TOPICS. 1-6 Semester Hr.
- CHGC599. INDEPENDENT STUDY. 0.5-6 Semester Hr.
- CHGC698. SPECIAL TOPICS. 1-6 Semester Hr.
- CHGC699. INDEPENDENT STUDY. 0.5-6 Semester Hr.
Priority: Jan 5, 2019
International: March 1, 2019
Domestic: March 1, 2019