Colorado School of Mines honors deferral requests depending on the nature of the request. Generally, a deferral request will be confirmed 2-4 weeks from receipt of complete request. Deferrals requested for January (spring term) are dependent on space availability for new students to enroll beginning in the spring term; such determination may not be made nor confirmed until late December/early January of the requested spring semester. If space is not available, student will automatically be deferred to the subsequent fall semester.
Before submitting the Deferral Request Form, you must submit your Student Enrollment Decision form and $200 Enrollment Deposit via your student portal.
The below “Deferral Request Form” button will bring you to log-in page if you haven’t already logged in with your current browser. Please use the same credentials you used to check your applicant status.
- Enrollment deposits will be credited to enrolled student accounts at the conclusion of Census Day for the approved deferral term. Enrollment deposits are non-refundable to students who do not enroll for the approved deferral term.
- The student may request a deferral up to one year beyond original admission term. Only one deferral will be approved per admitted student before need for reapplication for admission.
- Merit scholarship awards and financial aid offers are forfeited upon deferral approval. Deferred students will automatically be reconsidered for merit scholarship awards for the approved deferral term per scholarship guidelines in effect for that term. Deferred students must reapply for financial aid for the approved deferral term. Scholarship offers and financial aid awards are not guaranteed once a student has deferred enrollment.
- Deferred admission does not apply to student housing. Students must reapply for student housing with the Department of Residence Life for their approved deferral term.
- Enrollment at another college or university during the deferral period will disqualify a freshman student for deferred admissions. In this case, student would have to reapply for admission as a transfer applicant.
- You will be asked to confirm your enrollment at a later date via a Deferral Enrollment Confirmation Form.
For deferrals to the Spring semester, you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your attendance in September. Deadline to confirm is December 1st.
For deferrals to the Fall semester, you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your attendance in February. Deadline to confirm is May 1st.
- Once you have confirmed your attendance for an upcoming semester, you must complete your enrollment. An Enrollment Checklist will populate in your Applicant portal. Send your final official high school transcript and/or college transcripts to the Admissions Office. Please refer to your Applicant Portal to determine what other items you will need to submit.
Requesting a Deferral:
- If you were admitted for the Fall semester, the Deferral Request Form is due before June 15th.
- If you were admitted for the Spring semester, the Deferral Request Form is due before December 15th.
Confirm your attendance to the Deferred term:
Once you are approved for a deferral, you will be required to confirm your enrollment at a later date using the Deferral Enrollment Confirmation Form (will not be available to submit until the below dates).
- For deferrals to the Spring semester, you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your attendance in September. Deadline to confirm is December 1st.
- For deferrals to the Fall semester, you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your attendance in February. Deadline to confirm is May 1st.
Please contact the Mines’ Admissions Office immediately if your contact information changes. We will be in contact with you when your enrollment term is closer – most communications will be sent by email.
If you have further questions regarding the deferral process, please contact us at email@example.com.