Colorado School of Mines honors deferral requests. Deferral requests will be confirmed 1 week from receipt of the completed request. Deferrals for January (spring term) will be accommodated. If space is not available, students will automatically be deferred to the subsequent fall semester.
Before submitting the Deferral Request Form, you must submit your Student Enrollment Decision form via your applicant portal.
The below “Deferral Request Form” button will bring you to log-in page if you haven’t already logged in with your current browser. Please use the same credentials you used to check your applicant status.
- If an enrollment deposit was submitted it will be credited to enrolled student accounts at the conclusion of Census Day for the approved deferral term.
For the incoming Fall 2020 class, students may request a deferral up to one year beyond original admission term. Only one deferral will be approved per admitted student before need for reapplication for admission.
Merit scholarship awards will be honored for any student deferring enrollment for Fall 2020. Financial Aid offers based on need will be reevaluated based on updated FAFSA data. Deferred students may need to reapply for financial aid for the approved deferral term if that deferral term is in a different awarding cycle. Merit Scholarship offers for Fall 2020 will be granted.
Students must reapply for student housing with the Department of Residence Life for their approved deferral term. Mines housing will work directly with you to find a space that works and every attempt to secure housing for new students will be considered.
Students can opt to enroll at another college or university during their deferral period, but we strongly encourage students to speak with an Admissions Counselor about course selection. Students can take up to 24 credit hours at another institution and still be considered a first-year student, remaining eligible for any merit scholarships awarded for Fall 2020. Students must remain below the 24 hr threshold in order to continue to qualify for the merit aid, etc. should they choose to defer. If the student completes more than 24 credit hours the student’s status will be change from first-year to transfer and will become ineligible for merit aid. Students can reach out to their Admissions Counselor for advice on which courses can be completed at another college or university.
You will be asked to confirm your enrollment at a later date via a Deferral Enrollment Confirmation Form.
For deferrals to the Spring semester, you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your attendance in September. Deadline to confirm is December 1st.
For deferrals to the Fall semester, you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your attendance in February. Deadline to confirm is May 1st.
- Once you have confirmed your attendance for an upcoming semester, you must complete your enrollment. An Enrollment Checklist will populate in your Applicant portal. Send your final official high school transcript and/or college transcripts to the Admissions Office. Please refer to your Applicant Portal to determine what other items you will need to submit.
Requesting a Deferral:
- If you were admitted for the Fall semester, the Deferral Request Form is due before August 24th.
- If you were admitted for the Spring semester, the Deferral Request Form is due before December 15th.
Confirm your attendance to the Deferred term:
Once you are approved for a deferral, you will be required to confirm your enrollment at a later date using the Deferral Enrollment Confirmation Form (will not be available to submit until the below dates).
- For deferrals to the Spring semester, you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your attendance in September. Deadline to confirm is December 1st.
- For deferrals to the Fall semester, you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your attendance in February. Deadline to confirm is May 1st.
Please contact the Mines’ Admissions Office immediately if your contact information changes. We will be in contact with you when your enrollment term is closer – most communications will be sent by email.
If you have further questions regarding the deferral process, please contact us at email@example.com.