International FAQ

For general freshman admissions FAQs, please visit our Prospective Freshman page

How do I apply to Mines?

Step 1: Start and complete the online admissions application.

Fill out the online application completely and submit it. The application must be submitted electronically. The admissions application is the same for international and domestic applicants.

First Year Application

Transfer Application

Step 2: Pay the $50 International Document Processing fee* & upload any supplemental documents to your Applicant Portal.

Within one business day of submitting your online application, you will receive an email with instructions for logging into your personalized applicant portal. Through this portal, you will be able to:

  • Pay the $50 International Document Processing Fee*
  • Upload your unofficial high school transcript if you do not have a copy of an official transcript. If admitted, you will need to send us the official transcript before starting classes. 
  • Optional: submit or check to see if we have received your ACT and/or SAT scores from the testing agency (optional)
  • Check to see if we have received your English proficiency scores and/or upload your unofficial English Proficiency scores. English proficiency scores are only required if you are accepted to Mines and may be provided after you have received an admissions decision.
  • Optional: Upload any other supplemental documents you would like us to review (resume, letter of recommendation, essay, etc.)

*International students who have attended high school in the U.S. for at least 3 years are eligible to apply through the Golden Admissions Application and have their $50 processing fee waived.

Step 3: Send us your high school transcript. 

We will accept unofficial and/or official copies of your high school transcript. Unofficial copies may be emailed to . If offered admission, we will then need the official copy of your transcript in order for you to begin classes at Mines. To submit an official copy of your transcript:

  1. Your high school or sponsor may email
  2. You or your high school may send us an official copy in a sealed envelope through FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS or another mail courier.
  3. You may bring in an official copy of your transcript in person, as long as the transcript is in a sealed envelope with a stamp or seal from your high school. 


If we do not have your online application, your transcript, and your $50 document processing fee, your application is considered incomplete and will not be sent to the committee for review. Please contact if you have any questions and we will be happy to help!

Am I eligible to apply to Mines?

If you will have completed pre-calculus/trigonometry and physics or chemistry, and your country’s pre-university education (equivalent to U.S. 12th Grade) before arriving to Mines for the fall semester, you are eligible to apply to Mines as a first-year applicant.

Transfer applicants must first meet the high school requirements above. You are then eligible to apply as a transfer student if one of the following applies to you:

  • You meet the minimum criteria listed here:
  • You are currently, or have been, enrolled as a degree-seeking* student at a college or university in the U.S. that is regionally accredited; or
  • You are currently, or have been, enrolled as a degree-seeking student at a college or university outside the U.S. that is nationally recognized by the country’s primary accrediting council/agency; or
  • You are currently or have been enrolled in a non-degree seeking program in the U.S. and will have completed 24 semester credits or more by the time you plan to enroll at Mines.

*A non-degree seeking student, sometimes referred to outside of the United States as a non-award/non-study student or auditor, refers to a student who is taking a course at a host university, but does not have the right to earn a degree at the host university. But credits could be earned which are transferable.

International students who attended 4 years of high school in the United States are required to meet the following competency requirements:

  • 1 unit of advanced mathematics (trigonometry or pre-calculus) Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus is our minimum math requirement; however, we recommend completing calculus if you have the opportunity to do so.
  • 2 units of algebra
  • 1 unit of geometry
  • 4 units of English
  • 3 units of history or social studies
  • 3 units of lab science (1 unit must be chemistry or physics)
  • 2 units of academic electives

SAT or ACT Scores
International students are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores unless they wish to play varsity sports.

What is the cost to attend Mines? Can I get in-state tuition?

Most international students will pay non-resident tuition and fees. Please see the Non-Resident section of the Financial Aid website here: for information on the cost of attendance.

International students in the following categories cannot qualify for in-state tuition: F-1, F-2, H-3, H-4 (if the visa holder is the spouse or child of an H-3), J-1, and J-2 (if the J-1 visa holder is a student or trainee), M-1 and M-2. 

If you are an international student and hold a visa type different than one listed above, are a refugee, asylee or are Colorado ASSET-eligible, you may be eligible for in-state tuition after one year of Colorado residence and should contact the admissions office to learn more about how to petition for in-state/resident tuition. 

Am I eligible to fill out the FAFSA as an asylee?

As long as your I-94 shows “Asylum Granted” you are considered an eligible non-citizen to use the FAFSA to apply for aid.  If you are pending being granted asylum you cannot claim this status. You should be able to provide a copy of your I-94 if needed to show the Asylum Granted status.  You must enter your ARN (alien registration number) on the FAFSA for their status to confirm. Please contact if you have additional questions.

Does Mines offer any scholarships to International Students?

Mines awards very few scholarships for new first-year or transfer international students. If you are eligible, we will invite you to fill out our scholarship application after you have been accepted to Mines. 

The funding we do have for new international students is usually evaluated through EducationUSA’s Opportunity Fund. Please reach out to your local EducationUSA advisor to apply for the Opportunity Fund program and learn if we have a partnership.

Once enrolled, international students may find funding opportunities through an academic department or the Global Education Office.

We also encourage you to visit the website below for additional scholarship opportunities for international students offered by other sources:

Scholarships, Grants, and Fellowships that Accept Applications from Non-US Citizens

I'm having trouble entering my phone number in the application. What should I do?

If you are experiencing issues with entering your phone number in our online application, please enter 555-555-5555 then send us an email at with the correct phone number(s) after submitting your online application.

When will I receive my I-20?

In order to receive an I-20, you must first be accepted to Mines AND confirm your attendance by filling out the Student Enrollment Decision Form and paying the $200 deposit. You have until May 1st to confirm your attendance. You will receive instructions by email from the Mines International Student and Scholar Services office on how to obtain your I-20 once you have paid the enrollment deposit. If you are conditionally admitted, you will not receive any immigration documents until you are officially admitted without conditions.

Do you accepted TOEFL MyBest Scores? Do you superscore?

 If you have multiple valid TOEFL tests, we do accept TOEFL MyBest Scores or will superscore your section scores if necessary.

Does Mines offer conditional admission?

Undergraduate applicants who do not meet our English proficiency requirement may apply and be conditionally admitted. However, you will not receive any immigration documents until official proof of English proficiency has been obtained.

Do I need a credential evaluation?

If you are admitted and decide to enroll at Colorado School of Mines, and you have more than one year of international coursework on your transcript, you must submit an official final high school transcript in its original language and a credential evaluation. All international transcripts must be accompanied by a course-by-course credential evaluation*. Please order an evaluation after you have graduated from high school so the transcript will be final. The preferred evaluation agencies are Educational Credential Evaluators, (ECE) and WES (World Education Services (WES). Other National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) members will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Remember to designate Mines Undergraduate Admissions as a copy recipient of your evaluation.

Eligibility for a Credential Evaluation wavier:
*Some international students who are sponsored by a company or government organization or those who have attended high schools abroad that follow an American or IB curriculum with English as the primary language of instruction are eligible for a waiver of this requirement. Email to request a waiver if you believe you may qualify.

Can my AP, IB or A-Level coursework apply to my Mines degree?

Each year, Colorado School of Mines accepts AP, IB and A-level credit from hundreds of students. To determine how these credits may apply to your degree at Mines, please visit the Registrar’s website on Advanced Credits.

I currently attend a college or university in the U.S. but want to transfer to Mines, do I apply as an international student or a transfer student?

You will apply as a transfer student. Our application for international and domestic transfers is the same. Just remember that in the “CITIZENSHIP” section, you should put “Foreign National/International”. If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you are always considered an international student. To learn more and apply as a transfer student, click here.

Do I have to attend the International Student Orientation AND the New Student Orientation?

If you are an international student holding an F-1 or J-1 visa, you are expected to attend both orientation programs. If you are an international student, but do not have an F-1 or J-1 visa, you do not need to attend International Student Orientation, only New Student Orientation (and Transfer Orientation if you are an international transfer student). The International Student Orientation program will help to familiarize you with Mines, how the education system works, U.S. customs and lifestyles, visa and immigration matters, the Golden area, and other Mines students.

The New Student Orientation is a separate program that is also required for all new Mines students in order to complete enrollment at Mines. New Student Orientation sessions focus on degree requirements and the registration process at Mines, and offers you the opportunity to meet with academic advisers, new and current Mines students, attend workshops on housing and learn about other campus resources.

The education system in the U.S. is different than in my country. Can you explain undergraduate studies?

Study at the undergraduate level in the U.S. leads to the first university degree, a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.). A bachelor’s degree is generally four years of study, which includes general studies as well as specific studies in your academic area of interest. Students seeking undergraduate studies have either completed secondary school or are planning to transfer from another institution but have not yet completed a bachelor’s degree. A four-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from other countries is required for further study at the graduate level.

What type of climate will I find in Colorado? What type of clothing should I bring?

We have all types of climates in Colorado! Students should come prepared for variable weather: cold days in the winter, hot days in the summer, as well as mild, pleasant days in between. Students should bring warm clothing for the winter months (November – April.) A heavy winter jacket is a necessity. Winter gloves, hats, and boots are also highly recommended. Clothing for rainy weather is also needed. Students at Mines, both male and female, typically dress casually. However, we encourage international students to wear what is comfortable for them and also bring national costumes and appropriate attire to wear for any formal campus events, “dress-up” occasions, and international celebrations.  

Will I be able to work off-campus?

Not for AT LEAST ONE YEAR, and probably not until you graduate. You may work off-campus only if you have first received authorization from the DSO and DHS. Please see the ISSS office for more information. Please Note: If you work illegally, you must voluntarily leave the country or face deportation. You cannot be reinstated.

Will I be able to work on-campus?

POSSIBLY. On-campus work requires a Social Security card and work authorization letter from the DSO in addition to maintaining your full-time status. You can’t apply for a Social Security card until you are registered and attending school. If you are able to get a job, you may not work more than 20 hours per week while semesters are in session. Jobs are scarce as many students are competing for each campus job. Please see the ISSS office for more information. 

What kind of visa do I need?

Please visit the ISSS website on visas here: and click on the drop down menu titled, “Which visa is right for me?”  This page also includes more information on F-1 visas. For more information on J-1 visas, click here: