Mines Undergraduate Research Fellowship (MURF)
The objective of this program is to enhance the education of undergraduate students with an opportunity to work as research assistants on faculty-led research projects. This will broaden and deepen the educational experience of students by exposing them to the research enterprise. Engaging in research could turn into a journey of self-discovery for students as it may help them identify their own career or research aspirations.
However, it should be noted that research can only be funded by this program if it is not taken for research credit or for senior design credit. Participating faculty members are encouraged to increase the research participation of qualified female students and students from under-represented ethnic backgrounds.
The program is competitive and open to all full-time undergraduate students at Mines.
Applications are open April 15th through June 2nd. The application deadline has been extended from May 29th.
Students will hear about their acceptance in July 2020.
Accepted students will begin research at the beginning of Fall 2020 – more information regarding specific dates and deadlines will be disseminated before and during the Fall semester. Generally, students are expected to have their first mentor/mentee meeting within the first two weeks of classes. At this meeting, students and mentors will complete an undergraduate research contract specific to MURF – please do not use a contract you were not specifically told to use.
Terms of Employment and Eligibility
- Full-time undergraduate students currently enrolled at Mines.
- Fellowship stipend for MURF is a total of $1500, disbursed in two equal installments in fall and spring semesters.
- Renewals for a second period are allowable upon demonstration of adequate progress and have to be applied for through the next solicitation.
- Students who are available to conduct research during both fall and spring semesters will be given preference.
- Freshman/sophomore/junior students are encouraged to apply.
Students who receive the fellowship must fulfill the following requirements:
- Provide a 1-2 page summary of the research work at the end of fall semester.
- Present a poster or give a talk at the annual undergraduate research symposium held in spring semester (April).
How to Apply
- See below for list of projects. Look through the list of projects and select the ones you are interested in. Only the projects listed under active 2020-2021 MURF & IMURF projects are eligible for MURF funding for 2020-2021.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with the faculty mentor that is listed on the MURF project to discuss the project and identify if you are a good fit. It is required that you consult (email/in-person meeting/phone meeting) with the faculty mentor before you submit a MURF proposal.
- Fill out the application form for MURF project only after you meet with the faculty mentor. A copy of your application will be sent to the faculty mentor.
- If you are already funded by the program and the project continues, ask your advisor if he/she is still willing to sponsor you (project renewal).
- This is a competitive award, please make an effort while filling out the application to ensure that your application has a good chance of being funded.
- If you have any question, please email email@example.com
- Deadline for electronic submission: May 29th, 2020.