Clearly and effectively exchange information, facts, ideas, opinions, and feelings through verbal, non-verbal, written, listening, and visual actions.
- Understand the importance of and demonstrate verbal, written, and non-verbal/body language, abilities.
- Employ active listening, persuasion, and influencing skills.
- Communicate in a clear and organized manner so that others can effectively understand.
- Frame communication with respect to diversity of learning styles, varied individual communication abilities, and cultural differences.
- Ask appropriate questions for specific information from supervisors, specialists, and others.
- Promptly inform relevant others when needing guidance with assigned tasks.
Source: NACE Career Readiness Competencies
- How skillful am I at articulating my ideas?
- How willing am I to have difficult conversations?
- How fluently do I communicate my needs?
- How do I communicate with someone from a different culture than mine?
- Host a presentation night with friends. The topic doesn’t matter, but make it look good!
- Video record yourself practicing a presentation. What does your body language look like? How is your pacing?
- Attend a workshop at the Mines Writing Center.
- Write a short story. Storytelling skills can also make you more engaging when you speak! For inspiration, try this short story generator.
- Take HASS202: Technical Communication.
- Take HASS323. Introduction to Science Communication.
- Take HASS360. Research, Values, and Communication.
- Take a graphic design course. Not sure where to look? Check out our resource library!
- Create a presentation about a hobby or a topic using no words. How do you describe it? What do you love about it? What do you want others to understand about you?