VANGUARD COMMUNITY OF SCHOLARS
A GROUP OF STUDENTS LEADING THE WAY IN
NEW DEVELOPMENTS AND IDEAS
The Vanguard Scholarship Program is a community of scholars for highly motivated students who embody leadership skills and a desire to improve our world through science, technology, engineering and mathematics. This service leadership program develops transformational leaders through professional development and academic success opportunities over the course of four years.
The Vanguard Community of Scholars Program is made possible through guidance and resources provided by the Women in Science, Engineering and Mathematics (WISEM) Program at Mines.
Aside from the professional and academic opportunities that come with the program, the Vanguard Scholars program endorses five core values:
- Support: Encourage and sustain women through actions and words.
- Advocacy: Work to promote opportunities and success for girls and women in STEM.
- Collaboration: Work together with others to achieve success.
- Leadership: Lead the way to find innovative solutions to the Earth’s challenges.
- Integrity: Incorporate honor and ethics into all areas of one’s academic, personal and professional life.
- Provide a signature student experience that meets the needs of each Vanguard Scholar.
- Increase sense of belonging and connection on campus.
- Increase confidence in ability to achieve academic, personal and professional goals.
- Increase leadership skills.
- Greater affinity toward Mines.
- Increase confidence in written and verbal communication.
- Increase preparedness for working with individuals with diverse social identities.
The Vanguard program’s values and objectives set the structure for the scholars community. The Vanguards’ feedback, both informally throughout the academic year, and formally every May, help shape the evolution of the program.
As part of this community, you will receive personal and professional development opportunities.
- Enrollment in a special section of the Freshman Success Seminar (CSM 101) taught by a prominent leader on campus
- Exclusive networking opportunities with Mines faculty and alumni who are changing the world through cutting-edge research
- $5,000 annual scholarship for four years for Colorado residents; non-resident students receive $7,500
- Mentorship, networking and professional development for leadership opportunities, internships, research positions, TA opportunities or on-campus jobs
- Invitation to apply for the program is in conjunction with the rolling admissions process
- Applications due March 1
- Approximately 30 scholars will be selected each year
- Recipients must commit to the program by May 1, and enroll as a full-time student at Mines
- Recipients must join the Mines Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Maintain 2.5 GPA
- Volunteer at two WISEM/Vanguard or SWE events per year or participate in Vanguard Community Service Project