VANGUARD COMMUNITY OF SCHOLARS
A GROUP OF WOMENT LEADING THE WAY IN
NEW DEVELOPMENTS AND IDEAS
The Vanguard Scholarship Program is an invitation-only community of scholars for high-potential women students possessing leadership skills and the desire to improve our world through science, technology, engineering and mathematics. This service leadership program develops transformational women leaders through professional development and academic success opportunities over the course of four years.
The Vanguard Community of Scholars Program is made possible through guidance and resources provided by the Women in Science, Engineering and Mathematics (WISEM) Program at Mines.
The Vanguard Values
Aside from the professional and academic opportunities that come with the program, the Vanguard Scholars program endorses five core values:
- Support: Encourage and sustain women through actions and words.
- Advocacy: Work to promote opportunities and success for girls and women in STEM.
- Collaboration: Work together with others to achieve success.
- Leadership: Lead the way to find innovative solutions to the Earth’s challenges.
- Integrity: Incorporate honor and ethics into all areas of one’s academic, personal and professional life.
As part of this community of strong women, you will receive personal and professional development opportunities.
- Enrollment in a special section of the Freshman Success Seminar (CSM 101) taught by a prominent leader on campus
- Exclusive networking opportunities with Mines faculty and alumni who are changing the world through cutting-edge research
- $5,000 annual scholarship for four years
- Mentorship, networking and professional development for leadership opportunities, internships, research positions, TA opportunities or on-campus jobs
- Selection for the program is in conjunction with the rolling admissions process
- Approximately 30 scholars will be selected each year
- Recipients must commit to the program by May 1, 2020 and enroll as a full-time student at Mines
- Recipients must join the Mines Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Maintain 2.5 GPA
- Volunteer at two WISEM/Vanguard events per year or participate in Vanguard Community Service Project