SWE Scholarship in honor of Florence Caldwell
The SWE Scholarship in honor of Florence Caldwell was established by the Colorado School of Mines Society of Women Engineers collegiate section in honor of the first woman to graduate from Mines. She graduated in 1898 at the age of 30, having previously received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1890 from Ohio Wesleyan University and another degree in 1894 from the Cleveland Institute of Art. Upon graduation, she returned to Cleveland and taught at the Institute of Art until 1901, when she married Frank Henry Jones (whom she met at Mines). She followed her husband in his career as Deputy Mineral Surveyor for the District of Colorado, and later with United Verde Copper in Arizona. Florence Caldwell was diagnosed with diabetes in 1933 and died of cardiac failure at age 65 in 1937.
Up to four scholarships will be awarded for the 2021-2022 academic year. Scholarship recipients will receive their monies through the Mines Financial Aid Office, with $1,000 disbursed in fall 2021 and $1,000 in spring 2022. If a student is graduating in December, the full $2,000 would be disbursed in the fall semester. Selection of the scholarship winners will be made in April, and will be announced at the awards luncheon meeting on May 5, 2021. The funds are to be used at Colorado School of Mines during the following academic year.
All completed applications must be submitted no later than 5:00 PM, MST, Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
- Be a current paid member of SWE at Colorado School of Mines
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher
- Completed application form (see e-form below)
- Unofficial transcript (add as an attachment to application form)
- One letter of recommendation (add as an attachment to application form)
- Applicant’s essay (add as an attachment to application form)
Expectations Associated with Award
- Serve as a mentor in SWE’s mentoring program
- Attend at least five SWE events (e.g., weekly meetings, outreach, networking events, etc.) each semester
- Submit a brief summary of how you benefited from the scholarship during the 2021-2022 academic year to WISEM by May 16, 2022
Application closes April 6, 2021